2001 KX 250 Q's

Helpin a buddy look for a budget bike, seen what appears to be a pretty good deal on a 01 KX250. Looks pretty good in the pictures, but I was just wondering a couple things about these bikes.

A) was this year pretty reliable/ good bikes? Keep in mind he is kind of newer to dirt bikes, though he owns street bikes, so he CAN ride bikes. He is like 6'1 200lbs, so thinkin def a 250.

? Any notorious problems with them, like something out of the ordinary things to check over on a bike before buying or ask about? Like a part that may be known to fail, etc.

C) Thanks.

bottom shock bearing is very common to go but like every bike look at the obvious.Check shock seals,linkage and swingarm bearings,pull the pipe and have a look in the cylinder,pull the stator cover and see if there is any up and down play in the crank bearing,look at the filter and in the air boot for dirt(indication of maintenance)check for cracks in the frame or welding allready done and have a look at the bottom of the cases for any damage from piston grenadings or rocks..other than that make sure it runs good.

Lol...everyones bikes you look at let you take all that stuff off?

its not hard to take that stuff off and if someone absolutely refuses then suspect hes hiding something,if the bike is cheap enough then take the chance but if you shelling out alot of money wouldn't you want to know if the cylinder is scored or if the crank bearings are getting bad?Just pulled the pipe on a rm250 that guy was selling and find the cylinder is sleeved,not a big deal and it ran good but the owner didn't tell us that.

True, but this buddy lookin to spend like 800-900ish, i mean its possible to find decent bikes at that price. Sometimes quick sometimes not. Like my bike was $800, i didnt go through all that because I knew if nothing else I could easily part it out and make my money back if nothing else.

I realize that stuff not THAT hard to take off, just havent bought a ton of bikes, typically id at least do a compression test (on 2t), etc.