Sign in to follow this  

gate starts on 450

hey guys i am having a problem with my starts.

i am starting in second gear. if i hold it half open then right before i dump clutch i wot it and dump the clutch and the bike just bogs down and barely starts moving.

if i start in first it will spin the tire for about 1 foot then launch me into a wheelie. im 6'2 190 pounds and im sitting ON the tank and legs in front of the pegs. any tips like start half throttle feather clutch then wot once it is in that mid range?

on a 450 you need to start out very relaxed, 2nd gear. No more then half throttle, have the front brake on and the clutch out just enough that you feel the bike wanting to move, weight up over the front of the seat. When the gate drops let off the brake and let the clutch out a little more. Once your back wheel is fully across the gate full throttle and enjoy your hole shot. Be calm and don't try to blast out of the gate. You will come across nice and straight with the front wheel on the ground while everyone is half sideways and in a wheelie and has to let off a little to get things under control.

Edited by jjy130