Sign in to follow this  

Just got a new 2012 YZ 250

Hello all…. I have been busy in the boring work force and am finally getting back into riding (sold my 2004) that I never rode. I was hoping you could give some feedback in a good pair of hand guards and stabilizer as I will be riding hair scrambles this year in the ECEA. Been out of the loop for a while that I am now 35.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0052.jpgDSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Edited by jluzader250
  • Like 2

Nice. Nothing like a shiny new YZ to get you back into riding.

I like the Acerbis Flag Lite MX handguards... but you're probably thinking of something more substantial for the woods.

Don't forget to re-tighten and grease everything.

• Like 1

That's nice brother can't wait to ride it when i come up but then again mine will be a 295 in about a month I just sent mine and Colby's cylinders to eg today.

Cycra ProBend are great hand guards. I'd FOR SURE take the suspension off and grease all the linkage bearings and steering stem bearings and apply anti-seize to the linkage bolts and swing arm pivot bolt. Lots of posts on here of guys not being able to remove the swing arm pivot bolt and having steering stem bearings thrashed.

Nice bike for sure!!

I would do exactly what these guys are telling you here. Yamaha seems to cheap out on the grease.....my wheel bearings were drier than a pocorn fart. My 2012 got a full grease job, blue locktite on certain areas, and re-torqued just about every nut and bolt.

What type of grease do you guys recommend? I will search the site for any write ups as I have not did this yet.

CONGRATS on your new bike! That is one fine piece of art you got there!

You must be a very happy man!

Which one is better though, the BMW or the Jeep SUV's at the background? :smirk:

Hello all…. I have been busy in the boring work force and am finally getting back into riding (sold my 2004) that I never rode. I was hoping you could give some feedback in a good pair of hand guards and stabilizer as I will be riding hair scrambles this year in the ECEA. Been out of the loop for a while that I am now 35.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

Edited by joshua_inigo

I am happy i bought the YZ new and can not stop looking at it. We just picked up the BMW it is nice but I will be hauling the bike with the Jeep.

• Like 1

I am happy i bought the YZ new and can not stop looking at it. We just picked up the BMW it is nice but I will be hauling the bike with the Jeep.

I know how it feels, went through the same reaction (and soon enough attachment to it). Happy for you!

Both of your SUV's are on special plates :smirk:

thats the nicest bike man.i wonna sell my 08 in May and hopfully have a nice down payment. in canada they want 7699$ plus a 1000$ in tax. if you make payments and put down a chunk, its all easy.

385413_10150466302661838_503696837_8830235_1128962426_n.jpg

she felt taller then my 08

I would either recommend the Cycra or Moose handguards. I have run both and have settled on the Moose guards. Its probably a optical illusion but they seem to have more room. As for a stabilizer, I never ran one on my YZ. They are super stable as is. On my KTM, you pretty much have to run one. If you still want one, either or any do pretty well. I think Scotts and GPR are at the top of the list. Price will probably end up being your deciding factor. The suspension is quite good stock. Your weight should determine a proper spring rate which I do recommend. A few other things to add would scrap the stock footpegs and get something wider like Fastways or so. Add thicker tubes for flat prevention. And maybe a set of rad guards and a skidplate. The skidplate is cheap insurance against a broken case.

As other people have mentioned, grease the heck out of it. Yamahas dont come with any grease.

thats the nicest bike man.i wonna sell my 08 in May and hopfully have a nice down payment. in canada they want 7699$ plus a 1000$ in tax. if you make payments and put down a chunk, its all easy.

385413_10150466302661838_503696837_8830235_1128962426_n.jpg

she felt taller then my 08

Rediculous eh, $8500 for a bike that was made in 06! What would keep you off a KTM? I had a 08 YZ 250 also, was my absolute favorite till I got my 2012 KTM. Funny thing is I saw my 08 YZ for sale again and was actually thinking of buying it back.

• Like 1

I guess I'll grease it for you when I come up since u don't know what a wrench is lol

Congrats! As mentioned by others you really should grease a few of the easier items to get at. My rear axle had froze up and would not come out after 3-4 woods rides on my 03yz250 when it was new; too little grease destroyed wheel bearings and made for a very frustrating tire change. I really like the cycra CRM hand guards but to each their own and I use Bel-Ray grease.

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-waterproof-grease

http://store.cycraracing.com/ceremo11ba.html

I have a new set of fastway pegs and since I bought my brother a pair he gets to grease my bike. I have to agree that this bike seems very tall in the seat... Do anyone use Maxima MTL Transmission Fluid 80W? I know with the K2 my brother took appart his engine and the inside was very clean so I plan on running that.

Very nice. I wish I could get a new 2012 YZ 250 to sit next to my 07. I will be selling my 02 YZ250 4 stroke for cheap in the next month or so when the weather breaks and also my fishing boat and parting out my ski boat and jet ski. That along with my tax return might get me enough to get one. I can't wait. I know my dealer has at least 2 of them and maybe a 2011. I don't care which one as long as it's new. I had many bikes past and present but never a new one. I am jealous.

I have a new set of fastway pegs and since I bought my brother a pair he gets to grease my bike. I have to agree that this bike seems very tall in the seat... Do anyone use Maxima MTL Transmission Fluid 80W? I know with the K2 my brother took appart his engine and the inside was very clean so I plan on running that.

I have had great luck with both the K2 and the MTL. I've been running Bel-Ray H1R premix in my '06 for almost 6 years now with no complaints as well. As for grease, Go with the Bel-Ray Waterproof grease or Yamalube Ultramatic grease (the more expensive tub that they sell.) Those are both Aluminum-complex greases that hold up better to high heat and pressure washing. If you can't find those I think Motorex or Repsol makes an aluminum complex grease as well.

I second the bel-ray grease....good stuff. A lot of guys I know run the cyra pro bends but I perfer the zeta guards, super strong with handy pivot mounts and the clamps are horizontal compared to vertical ones that can give a good thrashing to your knees when cornering or a side fall.

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease :smirk:

Oh yeah, when you change the oil BE SURE you put in 25oz of oil, dont just fill it until oil runs out the witness hole - it's in the wrong location and has been for years.

I run Rotella-T and buy it by the gallon jugs. I took an empty Rotella-T quart bottle, measured out 25oz in my Ratio Rite cup and poured it into the quart bottle then marked a line with a sharpie marker with YZ beside the line. Did the same thing for the boys JR50's.

Now when I change oil, I just fill the quart bottle to the line and pour it in the bike. Quick and easy.

IMG_6348.jpg