Sign in to follow this  

Just picked up a 2007 kx450f... school me.

i had a 07 bought after the 08's came out and sold it last year had no troubles. its a great bike. i dont have a replacement yet so i really miss mine. i had a two bros muffler put on right away(hate how it sounded) for the spark arrestor which is needed for any riding off the track in nevada. but i dont think anything is needed to be done to the bike. other than the pipe and a ims tank mine was completely stock

That's funny - I have the exact same setup as Astrnaught... (2bros exhaust and IMS Tank)

There are a couple threads on this already, you should be able to easily find them if you search/read the first 3-4 pages or so of this 450 thread...

Be very careful of the Oil Filter Cover and the Screws - and Drain Bolts... they are very easy to strip/cross thread.

You will need to replace the chain and chainguard pretty quick.

Make sure you check the oil screen (you will have to look this up)

You will find some more in the other threads... Those were my issues above

Enjoy, it's a great bike.

i i had a two bros muffler put on right away(hate how it sounded) for the spark arrestor which is needed for any riding off the track in nevada.

do you really need the spark arrestor? ive never used mine lol

do you really need the spark arrestor? ive never used mine lol

Depends where you ride.

But around here (So Cal.) it's a pretty big ticket if you get caught riding without one.

For reliability, the only model specific thing to check on your 07 is the type of piston and hours on it. If the EOM piston and unknown hrs then replace it with a std comp Wiseco.

Everything else is the same for any four stroke, valve clearances, clean air and oil, various chassis bearings.

The carb needs some simple checks: The pilot jets can gum up after time. The AP system needs maintenance every year or two. It reduces wear if you lube the slide, and it's a good idea to lube the hotstarter cable and plunger. A 55 leak jet is a good idea if you ride slow technical stuff and/or you chop the throttle open/shut a lot.

The KX450 has a never ending diet for eating tires, chains and sprockets. And some loctite is a simple solution to keep all misc bolts in place without any over tightening.

I dont think the Kawis have any problem with easy bolt stripping. It's funny how tight people think they have to over-torque various bolts.

Regarding the chain slider on the top of the swing arm, you can install a TM Designs one, but if you ride in damp gritty conditions, then your chain will eat through half a new slider quite quick. Correct chain tension helps a lot.

For good handling, slide your forks caps up 12 or 13mm. Set your sag to around 101mm. play with the clickers a lot to keep the front planted and rear riding high and smooth. 22mm triples is a huge improvement over the stock 24.5mm items. Maybe go 20mm if you ride groomed/smooth tracks or tight slow stuff.

Edited by numroe