Sign in to follow this  

Kickstarter and clutch hub problems

I have an 02 yz125 and the kickstarter's been messed up for a while. Whenever I kick it, it doesn't even come back up on its own. I kick it and it stays down. It used to, but whenever i folded it in the shaft would rotate forward and cause it to hit to pipe. That eventually stopped and now the kickstarter won't hardly come back up. I haven't taken the side case off and so I'm to this kickstarter shaft/spring/gear. What am I supposed to be looking for? Could it possibly be the spring? I've got this far and now I'm lost because everything looks fine.

I also have a question about my clutch. It drags really bad. Since I have the side case off I might as well fix it too. I have new plates and springs and the basket looks fine. On the basket there are marks but they're not even grooves. You can't feel them if you run your finger over them. On the other hand, the hub has really deep grooves in it. Is this what is causing it to drag?

Once you open the case you mostlikely know what's wrong. The spring could be out of its holder or worse the mechanism itself has some dirt logded in there or something plainly broke.

On the clutch once together again try it out. Old friction plates can cause dragging. Happened to me.

Edited by arnego2

Cast into the center case is a stop for the kickstart mechanism. There is a metal strip that is bolted to this casting. If the kickstart lever is allowed to snap back too fast, it can crack this casting and/or bend the steel strip. This could account for the lever returning too far forward. You'll have to remove teh kickstart mechanism to inspect it.

What brand of replacement clutch parts do you have?

EBC. I've had them for a while, I just haven't put them in. I know that the plates can cause the clutch to drag but the hub has really deep grooves in it. Even where the springs go, which is weird. This worries me because the old plates look good, I just haven't measured them. Should I just try to put the new plates in? I know the hub is worn pretty bad, but I'm short on cash.

As for the kickstarter, I have the whole side case off. It's got to be the spring, or what MX Tuner said. How can I tell if the spring is bad?

Okay I've got the clutch problem solved. I didn't know how cheap the stock hubs are. I'll be ordering one tomorrow. As for the kickstarter, I'm trying to get the spring off right now. Hopefully it's just the spring, because a new one is $5.