Sign in to follow this  

Selling KLX, need advice on how to price it

Lost my job and I am trying to figure out how to market this bike. I bought my 2008 KLX450R new in August 2010 (new old stock). I have done extensive modifications to it and have all the original stock parts with the exception of the head. (stock parts are like new with only 2 rides on them) I would hope to get $5,500 for it as it is very well cared for and all stock parts also come with the bike. BTW: the electric start works great with this set up, I have only kicked the bike 2x just for fun. This bike is very strong and has never been raced, I set it up for riding in Baja, but I am out of money and time.

Mods:

• New KX 450 Head
  • New Stage2 Hot Cams
  • Kibble White SS Valves & Springs
  • New Wiseco Piston
  • Scary Fast Powershot Accelerator Pump Cover
  • Jetted, and Air Box snorkel removed
  • R&D Flex Jet Fuel Screw
  • Yoshimura RS-2 Stainless Steel Exhaust
  • Revloc Dynaring auto-clutch (not installed)
  • Racetech 5.2 Spring
  • Unibiker Radiator Guards
  • IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank (black)
  • ASV Levers
  • Trail Tech Vector
  • G-Force Richter Matt Black Anodized Rims (21" & 19")
  • Trail Tech Kickstand
  • Tusk Racing Oversized Pegs
  • New Front & Rear Tires (120 in the rear)
  • SDG KX Seat, KX number Plate
  • White & Black Plastics
  • Kawasaki Carbon Fiber Skid Plate
  • Sunline 1 1/8" Bars (CR hi-rise)
  • Outlaw Bar Clamps
  • 51 tooth rear sprocket

I am in California and am trying to figure out a price and where to list it. I have sunk thousands into it. Thanks!

IMAG0223.jpg

Edited by jimmyh
  • Like 1

You'll be better off to return it to as close to stock as possible and sell off all the other aftermarket stuff individually...otherwise you'll take a bath on that stuff. Price the bike accordingly and between that and the parts you'll do ok. Beautiful wagon btw...damn shame.

ps...if you part it out....don't forget i asked about the dynaring first! LOL

Edited by KLX450-DIRK

You'll be better off to return it to as close to stock as possible and sell off all the other aftermarket stuff individually...otherwise you'll take a bath on that stuff. Price the bike accordingly and between that and the parts you'll do ok. Beautiful wagon btw...damn shame.

ps...if you part it out....don't forget i asked about the dynaring first! LOL

Exactly what I would do! Fine looking steed indead!

Thanks for the hard-road tip, but I guess parting it out might be best. I posted all my stock part on TT a few weeks back and got zero bites? Hard to believe that nobody wants any stock parts. Setting it back to stock may be the ticket. On the Revloc, I had is set up perfectly, but just never really fell in love with it.

i have a feeling you'll make out good on the head and auto clutch alone and i may be interested pm me if you decide to sell

FWIW...I paid 4500 for a 2008 with 25 miles on it and hardly a scratch not too long ago. Thats in the ballpark around here. You'll probably have better luck selling it and the accessories once spring rolls around...but maybe there is an active market in CA in the winter.

If it were me, I'd leave on the stuff that is necessary (fuel screw, rad guards, stuff like that) and take off and sell the bling.

Edited by dmac1

FWIW...I paid 4500 for a 2008 with 25 miles on it and hardly a scratch not too long ago. Thats in the ballpark around here. You'll probably have better luck selling it and the accessories once spring rolls around...but maybe there is an active market in CA in the winter.

If it were me, I'd leave on the stuff that is necessary (fuel screw, rad guards, stuff like that) and take off and sell the bling.

I bought mine two months ago. It had the Tusk light kit, Baja Designs switch kit, JD Jet, R&D remote fuel screw, and plated with 150 miles. It's a 2009 and got it for $4100. Seems like going back to stock as much as possible and recouping some of the extras might be your best bet! Good luck

Edited by brewdude

You'll probably have better luck selling it and the accessories once spring rolls around...but maybe there is an active market in CA in the winter.

Southern California is not like Colorado or Kansas. SoCal's riding season IS the winter!!!

why did you convert a klx450 woods bike into a mx bike??????? why didn't you just buy a kx 450 instead????? what a wast of money..............

why did you convert a klx450 woods bike into a mx bike??????? why didn't you just buy a kx 450 instead????? what a wast of money..............

Why are you so critical is the question. He said he setup of Baja.

The KLX head is designed to work within emissions restrictions and not for performance. The KX head with the cams produces more power and the bike runs cooler with better throttle response. Just want the best of both worlds. Can't get a KX with e-start. BTW, I run my CR250 for woods, nothing like a 2-smoke.

Edited by jimmyh

Thanks, I love this bike. The good news is that I landed a new gig and money will not be a problem....so no real need to sell! With this bike for Baja and the 2-Smoker for woods, I am pretty spoiled.

• Like 1

Thanks, I love this bike. The good news is that I landed a new gig and money will not be a problem....so no real need to sell! With this bike for Baja and the 2-Smoker for woods, I am pretty spoiled.

So...you're saying you're keeping the wagon? That is great news. Congrats on the new gig.

Unless ya wanted to go faster....you know, maybe be faster than the next guy? :smirk:

CONGRATS !!! :smirk: on the new gig !! Glad to hear...in the world of 2 wheels everyone tries to go faster n get more power.

Even a stock MX bike guys tweak them to their desired expectations

Anyone who doesn't think that must be miserable in their own life that the only satisfaction they get is trying to make others feel bad for the success !

God luck in your new endeavor ! :bonk:

Edited by onekawboy

Depends on your intended use. When I bought mine, it was for a Baja 1000 run. I immediately swapped out to the KX head...it breaths much better for wide open blasting....take it back home to the PNWet woods, put the stock head back on with SS valves. Works great.