Sign in to follow this  

08' Small upper oil plug stripped tonight.

The small oil drain for my upper chamber has finally stripped out tonight. I have a riding trip planned for this weekend, what would be the quickest fix?

I've been considering using lock tight, and fixing it next week. I'm just not sure if lock tight would seal it enough so the oil doesn't drain out.

I'm very open to any suggestions, I just have to fix it after work tomorrow haha. I'm considering just taking it to a shop, and let them deal with it.

Anyone else fix this issue?

Thanks!

get the bolt up in there and JB weld over it. Make sure everything is super clean. It will hold with ease if you do it right. When you're done and ready to do it right just chip the JB weld off.

In my past experiences with JB weld, its usually a permanent solution, but I guess with a little elbow grease it could be chipped off. I've got a buddy with an "In" to Honda World, so I think I'm going to try to get them to Heli Coil it. If not, it will definitely be jimmy rigged. :smirk:

The small oil drain for my upper chamber has finally stripped out tonight. I have a riding trip planned for this weekend, what would be the quickest fix?

I've been considering using lock tight, and fixing it next week. I'm just not sure if lock tight would seal it enough so the oil doesn't drain out.

I'm very open to any suggestions, I just have to fix it after work tomorrow haha. I'm considering just taking it to a shop, and let them deal with it.

Anyone else fix this issue?

Thanks!

I've had (3) stripped out holes on my '08: clutch cover, and both drain bolts. Kawi cases are not precision.

I've had (3) stripped out holes on my '08: clutch cover, and both drain bolts. Kawi cases are not precision.

Hitting the gym much? ;-)

Hitting the gym much? ;-)

No, it's odd. I've owned 27 dirt bikes so far in my life, and other than Suzuki's Peanut Brittle bolts, I've never had fastener issues until the KX. Drain plug came FROM THE FACTORY with a heli coil in it!

Just take it to a machine shop and have it heli coiled shouldnt cost you much more than $50

Happened to me on my 2011 KX450F as well. I agree with the fastener issue on the KX's. It was an easy fix, bought a house brand spring style thread repair kit from an auto parts store. No issues. I think it cost about $20 for the kit, and it came with several extra coils. It's got 3 oil changes on it so far and it works, I was a little worried the first time I changed the oil on it and was hesitant to remove the smaller drain plug. But as I said, so far, so good.

Speaking of the fasteners though, I had an issue with one of the radiator shroud bolt nuts that is on the gas tank spinning from jump street. Removed it to install graphics only to find one bolt was just spinning in the tank. That was a pain but I got it fixed. Also, the cotter pin rear axle nut blows. Prefer the Honda style for sure.

A time-sert is the way to go, 6X1.0, I haven't did my 11 yet, but got a little timid about 15 hours ago putting it back in, border line strippage with torque wrench, until I need to repair something major (which I hope not for a while) I just leave it in and drain main bolt only, not enough in there to keep taking a chance to ruin a ride.

Well, found oil under my bike. Pulled small drain plug and threads were stripped. I`m wanting to go with the Timesert but it`s 9.4mm long versus the case being only 8mm thick from what I can tell. Has anyone tried one yet.

Edited by Tyge250

Not worth taking the chance draining from the 8mm bolt , so little oil comes out . If you change oil often ie 10 to 15 hours riding then its not going to make a difference draining from there .

Well, ordered the Time-sert kit last Monday. Spoke with the tech rep, Michael, and they did have a kit in the 8mm length with pilot guide for $70.11 plus S&H. Received it the next day before noon. Worked perfect. Was able to ride Thursday, no leaks yet. Used 3 of the threads on my RM so it helped justify the cost. Great customer service too.