Sign in to follow this  

Valve jobs/ Top ends. How much are they costing you guys?

Im wondering how much materials are costing? Ive got an 05 crf450r. The bike is due for a top end and im wondering if i should go all out and do the piston. If the top end is due how long can I expect the bottom to last. I dont race just ride desert and some track. Thanks

a mod head shop quoted me like $650.00. that was for new valves and gaskets, labor, complete disassembly of my head, clean everything and reseat the valves. basically refurbish the head.

actually they had experience with hondas and told me that trx 450 quad valves are the best bet.. they last longer and hold up to more abuse

Edited by GoBollzD33P

Do the work yourself and save! Including a new piston/cam chain/ Kibblewhite valves/springs/and getting the seats cut it cost me $400 tax in. I aslo did the cam chain guides and cam chain tensioner etc.

• Like 1

Did a piston myself for about $150. If you do the work yourself, and have a local machine shop cut the seats (if needed), then you could probably do a complete top end including new intakes for ~$350.

Kibblewhite valves and springs $160

Piston and rings $125

Gaskets $50

valve seats cut $60

Around $400-ish for a pretty fresh and durable top end.

How hard is it to install the valve guides? Do they have a stop or is the height something you have to measure?Thanks,

FS

Edited by FOUR STOKED

You can build a brand new '08 head, with all new OEM valves, springs, seats, keepers and exhaust studs for less than $500. Sell your old complete head on ebay for $150 and you are looking at less than $350, out of pocket. This greatly reduces the chances of a machinist botching the job and costing you even more money.

Edited by CamP

You can build a brand new '08 head, with all new OEM valves, springs, seats, keepers and exhaust studs for less than $500. Sell your old complete head on ebay for $150 and you are looking at less than $350, out of pocket. This greatly reduces the chances of a machinist botching the job and costing you even more money.

I am actually doing this right now, but am considering rebuilding my '05 head for a back up. I haven't made up my mind if it is worth it or not to even fool with it. If the new OEM parts '08 head lasts like my original, I won't be needing one for a while.

a new 08 head with all new parts except use the new titanium valves from wiseco the coating process is superior to the oem making the valve last much longer .also you will not end up with the seat damage that ocurs after time when using steel valves.

Local shop charged me $450 for completly rebuilding my head with all new OEM stuff. That price was for me just bringing in my head. I see alot of guys just dropping there bike off at the shop and getting charged another $400 in labor for a top-end rebuild instead of taking thier heads off them selfs.