Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Track Layouts for better racing

I was looking at a Supercross program from 2002 the other day and was looking at the track layouts and comparing them to what we have now. It seems like back then they were able to not make things so one-lined like tracks today. The tracks from back then seemed to have a left side and right side option on many parts of the track. So, that makes me wonder, if we were to bring some of the track layouts back from 10 or so years ago, would those layouts promote better racing by presenting more options?

Why are people talking about one lines? The racing and passing the past two years have been awesome

Yeah, I would definitely agree that the move to four-strokes have definitely played a role in the current track layouts. Unfortunately, it seems like almost every weekend you hear some of the racers commenting on how the track is one-lined. You don't seem to have the different options as far as left/right side lane like you did on older tracks from around 2002. I wonder if we were to bring back those options, how racing would turn out. You would get some riders that would be faster on the left side of the lane and some on the right. so I think it would facilitate better racing.

Tracks have changed for sure and yes it was due to the 4strokes, if you have rode a 4stroke you will understand why! they hook up out of the corners much better than 2strokes and this allowed the jumps to be closer to the corners

the racing last year was amazing for the spectators point of veiw and this year is shaping up to be another great season.

dirt works does an amazing job with the tracks but im not sure if they also designe the tracks

im no way a pro rider not even expert so its not really place to comment on the supercross tracks, my local track gets changed about once a month and some times i wonder why they changed some of the sections but just cos i liked that section does not mean everyone liked it and im sure this goes the same for the pros but its motocross and we have to ride whats on the track

They have a name for why the new tracks are so boring.

"Rhythm Sections"

Look at the old races, you will see the tracks have anti-rhythm sections. This means riders will make more mistakes, which makes for better racing.

• Like 1

my local track gets changed about once a month and some times i wonder why they changed some of the sections but just cos i liked that section does not mean everyone liked it and im sure this goes the same for the pros but its motocross and we have to ride whats on the track

I wish tracks around here changed that often. We're lucky if they change once a year. Anyway, back to topic.

I like tracks that give the top guys trouble. The rhythm sections are cool to watch for a couple of laps but the top guys just end up doing the same thing

Throw in a wall and sand sections that are more than 20 yards long. If everyone can do every obstacle the track sucks

• Like 2

I miss the Pontiac tracks, they had over and unders and went in the stands. Wish they would come back to Michigan but I understand why they don't. Would you want to come to detroit lol?

I miss the Pontiac tracks, they had over and unders and went in the stands. Wish they would come back to Michigan but I understand why they don't. Would you want to come to detroit lol?

wish they had the split sections like in vegas several years back. cool to see the lines that guys took! make both lines super tech like a really slow line with wall and a really tricky sand section that likes to pull you down. you pick your poison!

well that sand section at A2 put a few guy down or at least slowed there pace if they buried the bike in the burm

the split sections were cool to watch and must had been cool for the riders,

the monster cup had a section that went up into the stands, but i remember the LA races where they went outside and then jumped back into the stadium that was cool

Racers have been complaining about tracks being "one lined" since I have been watching SX (since the 80's!). Somehow riders manage to make passes anyway. EVERY track develops "one line" which is going to generally be the fastest. It's called the "race line". In general, complaining is just that. complaining.

I think the tracks and the racing that takes place on them is phenominal.