My First Dirtbike - yeah baby!

I've always wanted a dirt bike to play around on. For the last five years I've been riding street and track bikes (R6, 999R, RSVR, 955i, CBR) but everyone I know talks about first learning to ride a dirt bike. So now that I'm 35 and have a little bit of coin I thought it was a good time to give the dirt a try. There are some trails not too far from my house and my entire neighborhood sounds like a 2 stroke testing ground when it's warm outside. I doubt I'll be out running the tracks anytime soon if ever but I wanted to get this going and my boys just got a 50cc around X-mas time.

I'm sure there will be people say that an 09 KX450F isn't a friendly first time db but who are they to judge:) I'm around a shameful 250 right now so I needed a little more get up and go. Over the summer I hopped on a buddies 250cc Honda and it felt a bit slow compared to my run and gun street bike stuff. I never really hammered it since the bike was new and obviously not mine. Still, it didn't give me that hair on fire feeling that we all crave.

Anyhow, now I have this insane toy sitting in my garage with a few aftermarket bits on it. I've taken the bike around the yard a couple of times and I'm digging it. Over the next couple of months I'll get used to the pegs being in a different position (I still keep trying to put my feet back) and gradually give it more and more hell until I fall off in a moment of glory.

That is my story. I just wanted to come in and say hello. You'll see me lurking around and scooping up some parts from time to time.

KX450F.jpg

Edited by HighEndToys
  • Like 1

I was in a similar situation you are..I have been on 4 wheels my whole life and decided it was time to try somethin new..so this past summer I sold my quad and got a kx250f..I am a 270lbs college tight end and it just wasn't enough for me..everyone I talked to kept tellin me to learn on a 250 but of course they were all 140 soaking wet..so of course I didn't listen and got an 08 kx450..I love it and love the power! It was still missing a little bit in my opinion so now she has a pc exhaust, half turn throttle and a 52 tooth rear sprocket..now she is just stupid fast!

getting a 450 mxer as your first bike is going to do one of two things.

less sever is it'll turn you into a shit, slow rider because you have no idea how to ride a dirtbike in the first place.

second, coming from a road bike background, you'll try to ride it like a road bike and your loved ones will be posting up a thread about how you hit a tree doing 40 mph and are now a vegtable, even at 250 pounds, that's way to much bike for a begginer.

less sever is it'll turn you into a shit, slow rider because you have no idea how to ride a dirtbike in the first place.

second, coming from a road bike background, you'll try to ride it like a road bike and your loved ones will be posting up a thread about how you hit a tree doing 40 mph and are now a vegtable, even at 250 pounds, that's way to much bike for a begginer.

Harsh but somewhat true!

Welcome to the MX world now. I don't know really what to tell you since I have never road a street bike.....just take your time, don't ride over your head and just have fun. I just got back into the sport in May '11 after being off for many, many years. I am 35 as well and my bike is a 2009 Kx450. Its been a ton of fun learning to ride again and doing my own maintenance and such. Just keep that oil changed and filter clean and you should get some good life out of that bike!

keep in mind, that everything you know about road riding, is completly wrong in the dirt, your rear brake is your best friend, i suggest removing the front brake altogether to force yourself to learn to use it, when cornering, keep your weight forward and your body as upright as possible while leaning the bike over, and the biggest thing of all, stand up, remove the seat for a day and practice riding standing for everything, it feels wrong to start with, but it's worth the discomfort to start with, i suggest getting a small play bike such as a CRF230 or XR250 (or similar bikes of other brands) to learn the basic techniques on first.

You may notice I didn't say anything about racing this bike or doing anything where fast or slow is an issue. There are several fields close to where I live, lots of open areas that do not have trees and eventually I'll even make it to the trails that are also close by (with trees). Throttle control and the most basic common sense aren't an issue here. I’ve also approached and move past the fact that I will never be a world champion in any form of racing. This is just a toy that I can have a little fun on from time to time. Having the ability to wheelie at low speeds and not costing 10K in repair parts when I crash is kind of nice too.

and that's fine if you wanna ride around a field, but being that the bike is way to powerful for even seasoned, experianced riders to use, you've made a poor choice, coming from a road bike back ground is worse then starting fresh on bikes altogether, mostly because the cornering and mindset habit's on a road bike will get you into serious trouble, you may bike fine cruising around your field, doing a efw mono's, whjat happens when your cruising down the fire trail, touching the rev limiter in 5th and a 4wd/animal/person creaps up? grab a handful on front brake like you would on your roady? come up to a corner and try to lay it in?

being a good are shir rider has nothing to do with being fast, it's got everything to do with being in control, and being able to react quickly and accuretly when things dont go to plan, and by buying one of the most powerful and most agressive dirt bikes on the market your making the job of learning these things ten times harder then they should be, making it dangrous for you, and everyone else riding around you, you wouldn't buy an R1 for your first bike or a supercharged corvette for your first car would you?

What happens when your cruising down the fire trail, touching the rev limiter in 5th and a 4wd/animal/person creaps up? Grab a handful on front brake like you would on your roady? Come up to a corner and try to lay it in?

Sorry, I had to correct some of your english before I could truly understand what it was you said.

First off W T F is a fire trail? Was a fire trail listed as being on my scope of riding adventures? I don't think so but I may be wrong. I can see from your post count that you are some super elite forum writer and you may be a really good dirt rider. I don't see anything about prophet, genie or Magic 8-Ball owner.

You don't know what kind of a rider I am or my mindset while sitting on the seat. At this time there is no reason to have this bike running off the limiter in 5th gear or for that matter running off the limiter in any gear. I'll take instincts and common sense with a little understanding of physics over ability any day.

Edited by HighEndToys

i dont think thats true. i bought a 06 kx450 weighing 155 and I'm just fine. I have friends that have been riding their whole life and they said I'm doing better than most. I also have a friend that trains Zach Osborne and he said im doing great for only riding for 3-4 months. I guess it depends on who you are.

• 1 month later...

HIghend, how about an update!!! I to recently got kx450f an 09 with EFI, haven't ridden much, started last year doing MX on an XR250, WOW that was "fun" bouncing of table tops and knuckling jumps, almost knocked myself out. Had the 450 out on track a couple times and can only say WOW, this thing has more power than I know what to do with. I learned very early to have respect for it and since im a crusy 46 year old fat guy I have learned quickly to take it easy...... for now

LOL Give the guy a break. Some people have the ability to switch between sports and adapt easily. Maybe he's one of them.

Yeah he'll probably develop some bad habits from his street bike experience but he's 35 years old and I doubt trying to race competitively.

Let him learn like the rest of us did, trial and error. With his bike history I don't doubt that he has smart throttle use.

Where's this neighborhood you speak of in Indiana that has 2 strokes galore haha....I'm from indy and they're rarely seen out