How to clean air filter after sand ride?

I have spent my fair share of time on sand race tracks but it was 15 years ago and I don't remember having a hard time getting the sand out of the air filters. I recently spent enough time down south to go through 4 filters on each bike (one filter a day) and didn't give it much thought when I cleaned them after I got home, but once they dried and I was getting ready to put a clean one in I noticed sand still in and on the filter. Now I'm sure the sand got on the inside during the cleaning process because I checked them after every change but what I'm not sure of is the easiest way to get rid of it. I use Petroleum based super tacky oil so that requires I use a Petroleum based solvent to get rid of it. I then soak and wash them in HE laundry soap and air dry. I spent time with the first two I installed with an air hose and was confident I removed all the sand but it took an hour.

I have now washed them 4 days in a row and rinsed them in a clean bucket with clean water to catch the sand and I am still getting sand out of each filter. At this point throwing them out and buying new ones has crossed my mind. I would like to put them in the wash machine, I just don't know how that will go over with the wife.

Has anybody else ran into this and have any good solutions short of getting divorced? I now know I should have used the filter skins and I just bought some No-Toil to try for the first time. What are your experiences with No-Toil?

I plan on going back down south in a few weeks and would like to solve the problem before I go.

Has anybody else ran into this and have any good solutions short of getting divorced? I now know I should have used the filter skins and I just bought some No-Toil to try for the first time. What are your experiences with No-Toil?

I plan on going back down south in a few weeks and would like to solve the problem before I go.

You aren't going to like NoToil. Personally, I'd never trust it in my bikes.

There is nothing you can do about the sand - once it is stuck into your filter, it's going to be hard to get out. However, if you use a pre-filter, that will keep the sand out. They are a fine cloth bag that goes over the filter - something like this:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/OUTERWEAR-PREFILTER-FOR-KN-AIR-FILTER

JayC

Get yourself a set of Filter Skins from PC Racing

http://pcracingusa.c...dex.php?cPath=7

I love these things! When you get home from a ride, peel off the dirty filter skin, and you find a clean air filter underneath. The package comes with three filter skins, so you can always have a few clean ones ready to go, when they get dirty, I just wash them in a bucket with some detergent or simple green cleaner, re-oil them, and then store them in ziploc bags so they stay clean and ready to use.

Edited by HeavyFuel

I've been riding for 40 years and the only time I've ever had dirt pass through a filter was when I used no-toil and rode a dry, silty sand track.

I ride sand tracks a lot and I've found that it's important to soak the filter in your solvent longer than you normally would. I use diesel, which is a milder solvent, and I let them soak in it for about 10 minutes to allow the diesel to really cut the filter oil. Some solvents, like mineral spirits, are more aggressive, but they are also harder on the glues. Then, I perform several warm soapy water baths with Dawn dish washing detergent. The number of baths depends on how long it takes to see absolutely no silt in the bottom of the bucket. I use a white 2 gallon bucket because it makes it easier to see the silt in the bottom. Typically, I do 3 soap/water baths, but it can take as many as 4-5 soap/water baths before there are no traces of silt left in the bucket.

I also replace the filter more often than most people because I know that a certain amount of sand will always be trapped in even the cleanest filter. I usually replace filters at about 15 hours.

Edited by CamP

You aren't going to like NoToil. Personally, I'd never trust it in my bikes.

JayC

I have been avoiding the No-Toil urge for about 3 years now but after watching a few guys cleaning their filters in soap and water I thought I owe it to myself to atleats try it. I have a solvent tank and all the other necessities for bike maintence but the idea of just washing in soap and water does intrigue me.

What are your experiences with it and why don't you like it?

I've been riding for 40 years and the only time I've ever had dirt pass through a filter was when I used no-toil and rode a dry, silty sand track.

I ride sand tracks a lot and I've found that it's important to soak the filter in your solvent longer than you normally would. I use diesel, which is a milder solvent, and I let them soak in it for about 10 minutes to allow the diesel to really cut the filter oil. Some solvents, like mineral spirits, are more aggressive, but they are also harder on the glues. Then, I perform several warm soapy water baths with Dawn dish washing detergent. The number of baths depends on how long it takes to see absolutely no silt in the bottom of the bucket. I use a white 2 gallon bucket because it makes it easier to see the silt in the bottom. Typically, I do 3 soap/water baths, but it can take as many as 4-5 soap/water baths before there are no traces of silt left in the bucket.

I also replace the filter more often than most people because I know that a certain amount of sand will always be trapped in even the cleanest filter. I usually replace filters at about 15 hours.

Did you scrap the use of No-Toil after that and did you figure out the reason why it allowed dirt to pass through? I am going to start running the pre-filters but do you think I should just skip the idea of trying the No-Toil? I have never had dirt pass through my air filters and I don't want to start now!

As far as the wash procedure goes, your way is exactly where I ended up after the 2nd wash. It took me 4 washes before the bottom of the bucket showed no signs of sand. I only had 8 filters to do this with so you can imagine my frustration.

How many people do you think don't pay attention to this problem and just clean one time, oil, and reinstall with the sand still in the filter?

Most people don't service their filters very well, but everyone thinks that they do.

Did you scrap the use of No-Toil after that and did you figure out the reason why it allowed dirt to pass through? I am going to start running the pre-filters but do you think I should just skip the idea of trying the No-Toil? I have never had dirt pass through my air filters and I don't want to start now!

A sponsor of mine gave me a gallon of no-toil. I gave it away after that episode and went back to my tried and true Maxima FFT.

The issue I had with the no-toil stemmed from it gravitating to the bottom of the filter over time, leaving the top dry.

What are you using for a solvent and how long are you soaking the filters?

I've been using No-Toil since 2002, no sand riding, but some very dusty conditions at times when it's hot out. Never had any issues with any of the bikes - 01 YZ250F, 06 KX450F, 07 KX65, 08 RM85. The filter would look fithy on the outside but the inside was always clean.

A sponsor of mine gave me a gallon of no-toil. I gave it away after that episode and went back to my tried and true Maxima FFT.

The issue I had with the no-toil stemmed from it gravitating to the bottom of the filter over time, leaving the top dry.

What are you using for a solvent and how long are you soaking the filters?

I use mineral spirits. I don't soak them very long, 1 to 2 minuets at most then soap and water in a bucket and rinse in the sink.

Would you say as long as the filter does not sit for a long time in the bike (more than a week) and doesn't have a chance to gravitate and dry then in your opinion it will work just as good at the Maxima or PJ1 Super tacky that I now use?

I use mineral spirits. I don't soak them very long, 1 to 2 minuets at most then soap and water in a bucket and rinse in the sink.

Would you say as long as the filter does not sit for a long time in the bike (more than a week) and doesn't have a chance to gravitate and dry then in your opinion it will work just as good at the Maxima or PJ1 Super tacky that I now use?

I think you should try increasing your mineral spirits soak time to about 5 minutes. I would stay with the Maxima FFT.

I have been avoiding the No-Toil urge for about 3 years now but after watching a few guys cleaning their filters in soap and water I thought I owe it to myself to atleats try it. I have a solvent tank and all the other necessities for bike maintence but the idea of just washing in soap and water does intrigue me.

What are your experiences with it and why don't you like it?

It's more of a "stick with what works" thing to me. I don't like the look of the oil, and have heard enough stories to not trust it. Nobody has EVER complained about good 'ole Bel Ray blue-goo. Why would I want to take a chance?

Personally, I think cleaning a filter with conventional oil is EASIER than with no-toil. Between the special soaps, etc...meh. I keep a 5 gallon bucket of mineral spirits. When it comes time to clean filters, I fill up a bucket with soapy water - dunk the filter in the 'spirits, then dunk in the soapy water. Done. Once dry and re-oiled, I put it in the bike, then dunk my hands in the 'spirits then soapy water. Done. It literally takes 15 seconds to clean a filter. Why use anything else?

JayC

Ok guys I have decided to run the No-Toil then I came across a scary discovery. After multiple washes and what I thought was meticulous prep I found dirt inbetween the layers. After I oiled the filters and installed in the bikes I was thinking about the prefilter idea again. Then I remember I was keeping the old filters that I was taking out of service. I decided to remove the outer layer off of a couple of them and use that as my prefilter. When I removed the outer layer from a spotless old filter I was suprised to find a lot of dirt trapped between the layers. That got me wondering, so I removed the fresh installed filters and tore them apart and sure enough... dirt still in the filter. No I know the wash process needs to be better. I'm going to need to try the wash machine and if that works i think I will buy an old used wash machine and put it in the garage for filters only, it's that or buy new cheap filters every few changes.

I also know that dirt is... so called trapped between the layers and probably not getting through the final stage but it still makes me nervous knowing how much dirt I was leaving behind after cleaning. I know someone mentioned it earlier about replacing filters every 15 hours of service and I thought why when I can get them clean, now I know, and your much smarter than I have been.

Edited by kx450f63

living in FL all we HAVE is sand, and the harescrambles if there has been no rain are a fine powdery dusty mess .. I was so pissed with "filter skins" i i couldn't see straight, those things SUCKED. they simply rolled right off and it was impossible to put on a crf450 filter. Frinds that race harescrambles turned my onto this! HAIR NETS!.. yes, hair nets. not very restrictive, but will provide a bit of prefilter that helps keep sand off the filter material. super fine dust will still pass through but these work pretty good. extends the intervals between filter changes significantly too.

Can buy em online at most office supply sites for like $8 for 100 of em. pretty easy to get on, i don't bother puttin the screw through em anymore like in this photo.. i just pop it over the filter after the filter is on.

hairnetj.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by MELK-MAN

I just went riding at a sand track near the South Carolina boarder and when I got back this past sunday I washed the bike. Then i took the filter out which I had used No-Toil on and it was filthy,Had sand all over it. Looked underneath it and no sand or anything had passed through. I have used No-Toil since around 2006 and have never had any issues with any dirt getting through my filters.

However like someone mentioned above that the oil would move down toward the bottom of the filter and leave the top part dry. This is true to an extent, The oil will move to the botom of the filter but it would do this only when I oiled the filter and put it in a ziplock bag and hung it up on the wall for a extended period of time over a week or so. When I needed to change a filter out and would get the good filter I had hanging on the wall in the basment I would see oil in the bottom of the ziplock bag(not a lot but about half a bottle cap).

I just pushed the filter down into the bag to absorb the oil and would resquezze the filter and rub it with my hand to spread the oil(no big deal). But I have heard a lot of people say that when they used No-Toil they would find dirt past the filter,I find this kinda hard to believe unless they are not putting enough oil on the filter to begin with but I never had a issue with it.

Is No-Toil my favorite oil.....No.....but I do like the ease of how fast you can clean the filters when useing it. I just use Oxy-clean to clean the no-toil off and only takes me about 5 minutes max to clean a filter. Recently for the past year I switched to Twin-Air Bio oil and cleaner to try something different for a change and really like the tackiness of the oil and really how much more better the oil is than No-Toil but cleaning the oil off the filter is a different story and is a little time consuming than No-Toil.

No-Toil oil will come out a filter in luke warm water in a couple of mins and only takes about 5 mins for the whole filter to be plumb clean.

With Twin-Air oil you have to get the water as hot as possible according to the directions(I usually heat the water on the stove) and use 100mm of the Bio cleaner. Then it says to let the filter sit in the water for 15 mins and then go back and agitate it around and rinse with cold water and keep repeating till it is clean. To me twin-Air takes more time but the oil is much better I think than No-Toil but the clean process is just more time consuming.