Sign in to follow this  

Length of stock xr400r shift lever?

Can someone be kind enough to measure the overall length of their oem or even aftermarket xr400 shift lever (foot shifter)?

Here is the measurement Im looking for; even better if you have an actual pic of your lever.

length.jpg

It's 6" from the center of the shift shaft to the center of the toe piece. And as you can see in the picture, it needs to have that joggle in it to clear the stator case cover. Mine is the IMS shifter. That shifter in your picture won't work on the XR, it's too straight, but I'm guessing you're just using that as an example to show the measurement you need.

XRshifter.jpg

Edited by Trailryder42

It's 6" from the center of the shift shaft to the center of the toe piece. And as you can see in the picture, it needs to have that joggle in it to clear the stator case cover. Mine is the IMS shifter. That shifter in your picture won't work on the XR, it's too straight, but I'm guessing you're just using that as an example to show the measurement you need.

XRshifter.jpg

Where did you get those pegs Trailryder?

yes, thanks. That pic was just for reference. Can you give me a measurement from the very end to end instead of center to center? Just to help me get a handle on accuracy on my end? Thanks!

Where did you get those pegs Trailryder?

Those the IMS Pro Series. Can be had from just about anywhere.

Overall length you're looking at 7". The stock shift is shorter of coarse. Can't find my stocker to measure it.

Edited by Trailryder42

You say overall length is 7" but you can't find the stocker to measure? So what did you measure then to get 7"?

(I'm not interested in a steel shift lever. I'm looking to utilize an alloy. And no I'm not buying into the"... "alloy levers will break your shift shaft where steel ones won't.." .business. I've been using alloy oem and aftermarket levers and have never bent a shift shaft.)

Those the IMS Pro Series. Can be had from just about anywhere.

Overall length you're looking at 7". The stock shift is shorter of coarse. Can't find my stocker to measure it.

You say overall length is 7" but you can't find the stocker to measure? So what did you measure then to get 7"?

(I'm not interested in a steel shift lever. I'm looking to utilize an alloy. And no I'm not buying into the"... "alloy levers will break your shift shaft where steel ones won't.." .business. I've been using alloy oem and aftermarket levers and have never bent a shift shaft.)

cliff notes below

It's 6" from the center of the shift shaft to the center of the toe piece. And as you can see in the picture, it needs to have that joggle in it to clear the stator case cover. Mine is the IMS shifter. That shifter in your picture won't work on the XR, it'stoo straight, but I'm guessing you're just using that as an example to show the measurement you need.

XRshifter.jpg

Edited by aDayintheDirt

The best shift lever you can use is stock Xr.We have seen xrs with Ims steel break off shift shaft.Also wr250-450 with stock alloy lever break shaft.We use stock Xr shift levers on all of our Wrs.Now if you ride where there are no rocks,than your fine

My current shifter is the IMS shifter. IT is the one that is 6" from center of the shaft to center of the toe. You wanted overall length. Then add a 1/2" to each end, making 7".

The best shift lever you can use is stock Xr.We have seen xrs with Ims steel break off shift shaft.Also wr250-450 with stock alloy lever break shaft.We use stock Xr shift levers on all of our Wrs.Now if you ride where there are no rocks,than your fine

I got into a head on collision with an XR100. No one was hurt, but my stock shift lever was bent under the foot peg. I wish I had a photo of it. The tip was pointed backwards. I used a cresent wrench and straightened it out. I rode with it for a while, then replaced it with an aftermarket shifter from RockyMtnmc as I read it is faily soft aluminum. (and the PITA upside down bolt.) I might go back to the stock shifter that I straightened out.

Edited by Kev_XR

There is one more problem that I forgot,the alloy lever on the Wrs .Is so hard that when it bends in the case(you cant shift)so we removed it .Could not fix it on the trail without a vice and a big hammer.So I had a spare xr4 lever that fixed it.

I have tried the TUSK lever and it in no way fits an XR400!

It stuck out from the stator cover 1" wider than the OEM lever.

It had about the same profile as a crf450 lever.

Rocky was good on the return which is real nice about them.

comparison showing generic aftermarket aluminum XR400 shift lever vs oem XR600r (1997). Showing how I am able to use the XR400 shifter on my XR600. The XR400 shift lever sticks out 1/4 to 3/8 inch further from the side of the engine case as shown by top view pic. This I think is attributed to the fact that the knurled peg portion of the lever is 3/8" longer on the XR400 aftermarket lever when compared to the XR600R's.

0217121535.jpg

0217121541.jpg