Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Does Dungey think God makes him fast?

In a lot of interviews Dungey is always thanking God or "the man above" as he likes to say. I could be wrong but I just get the impression that he is thanking God for putting him on the podium, like he’s been given special treatment over everyone else?

Maybe he’s just very religious and is saying thank you for keep him safe?

What’s people’s opinion on this?

"God" can't possibly be on Ryan's side.... he's in Canard's corner, can't you tell?

While the entire concept is quite laughable, to have athletes constantly thanking fictional entities for their success is just depressing given the amount of work these guys put in on a daily basis. Never change though, it's a PR war out there, and you need the religious right on your side, ask any politician.

• Like 1

Fictional entities to one may be factual to another. For every Religious zealot there is someone practicing Heathenry

And who cares what he thinks. If it makes him happy then good for him

• Like 2

"God" can't possibly be on Ryan's side.... he's in Canard's corner, can't you tell?

While the entire concept is quite laughable, to have athletes constantly thanking fictional entities for their success is just depressing given the amount of work these guys put in on a daily basis. Never change though, it's a PR war out there, and you need the religious right on your side, ask any politician.

Drivel from a Dipper...(and he knows what I mean). So the only people practicing any faith are Right wing Conservatives? Would you be more comfortable if the winner was on the podium answering questions with, "...In Salah?"

What is depressing is how anybody can choose to assail Dungey's character, simply because he thanks HIS saviour for a any success. While I may not be his biggest fan or BAJAJ-KTM, I think it is pathetic to try and drag down a real class act.

• Like 4

God clearly

Thats always made me wonder, why did God heal Canard, just to break another part of his body???? Clearly The Big CEO Upstairs has issues with Mr. Ginger. (relax, I like them both!)

I think God was def wearing his signed JS#7 jersey last week though.

• Like 1

In a lot of interviews Dungey is always thanking God or "the man above" as he likes to say. I could be wrong but I just get the impression that he is thanking God for putting him on the podium, like he’s been given special treatment over everyone else?

Maybe he’s just very religious and is saying thank you for keep him safe?

What’s people’s opinion on this?

Bunnet I see you're from Scotland so I'm not totally up to date on the religious culture there but here in the states Christianity is thicker than smoke from an oil fire. Though I'm not religous I try to keep an open mind and I think guys like RD & TC find comfort with the thought of some superior being riding on their shoulders during the race. It happens in all major sports in the US and it's pretty much the norm to hear someone thank "God" or point up to the sky after their win to give thanks. It doesn't really bother me one way or the other so if it makes their celebration go that much better to do this act then I say more power to them.

Edited by BBA

Fictional entities to one may be factual to another. For every Religious zealot there is someone practicing Heathenry

And who cares what he thinks. If it makes him happy then good for him

My thoughts exactly!! Who cares?

As a side note, I probably would be thanking God also if I made it on the top step of a podium in pro supercross!

• Like 1

If I was on the podium and Erin came jiggling up to me with those huge ta-tas I would probably proclaim God's name as well

• Like 5

Why cant they just thank god in their prayers instead of on the podium ?

It really gets too much sometimes. You never heard top riders thank god back in the 80's and 90's. Is it a more religious US generation these days or what has happened ? I'm just asking ...not trying to offend.

It almost feels like they must show it to the public.

I wonder how the public would react if a musslim ever becomes a pro mx rider ? ( it will probably never happen). But wow what an controversy it should become !

And as I said, I'm not trying to offend anyone with this...just a thought.

• Like 1

Drivel from a Dipper...(and he knows what I mean). So the only people practicing any faith are Right wing Conservatives? Would you be more comfortable if the winner was on the podium answering questions with, "...In Salah?"

What is depressing is how anybody can choose to assail Dungey's character, simply because he thanks HIS saviour for a any success. While I may not be his biggest fan or BAJAJ-KTM, I think it is pathetic to try and drag down a real class act.

Actually, I'd be happier if the winner stood on the podium and thanked his team, his support group, and his sponsors, then told us how hard he'd worked to get there. What is "pathetic" is to see otherwise intelligent individuals subscribe to such fallacies. Nobody is dragging down Dungey's character, given the amount of mud slung in his direction on this forum for not riding aggressive enough for a bunch of punters on the sidelines, I'd think he'd have a rather thick skin by now.

Dungey is my favourite rider these days, but it makes me cringe every time I hear these guys thank god - it's like watching a teenager stay up all night looking for santa in the fire place. America is frightening in it's fascination with religious belief, and while it's a discussion for a totally different type of forum, the impact of all organized religions on the planet is both marked, and dreadful throughout history.

In my line of work I travel all over the world, work in war zones where religious zeal is thick from all sides, Christian or otherwise, and just have to shake my head at these guys who think that "god" is on their side, whether that be in something so frivolous as racing an SX bike, or serious as waging war... If people could just get over it and stop this unwavering belief in fairy tales, we'd be a lot better off. Somebody mentioned "heathenism..." might want to look into where most Christian belief and ceremony comes from sometime - it's not original, surprise.

Anyway, this will go nowhere, so that's the last I have to say on the subject. PM's are welcome.

• Like 2

I think some kind of take their thanking god on the podium in the wrong way. I highly doubt Dungey or Canard think that God reached out and gave them a little extra push to get them on the podium that night any more than by thanking Oakley they are implying they wouldn't have won if they were wearing Fox goggles. People of faith find strength and comfort in the bible which helps them in their lives. In giving thanks, they are saying thank you for that support, again, just like they are thanking fox and Oakely for their support. Why make such a big deal out of it.

• Like 1

Why cant they just thank god in their prayers instead of on the podium ?

It really gets too much sometimes. You never heard top riders thank god back in the 80's and 90's. Is it a more religious US generation these days or what has happened ? I'm just asking ...not trying to offend.

It almost feels like they must show it to the public.

I wonder how the public would react if a musslim ever becomes a pro mx rider ? ( it will probably never happen). But wow what an controversy it should become !

And as I said, I'm not trying to offend anyone with this...just a thought.

If Dungey were a Muslim, he would still thank God. All the people who have a problem with him now as a Christian, would have the same exact problem with him as a Muslim.

He would after all, be thanking the same God.

If Dungey were a Muslim, he would still thank God. All the people who have a problem with him now as a Christian, would have the same exact problem with him as a Muslim.

He would after all, be thanking the same God.

If he was Muslim would he get 17 virgins for winning the championship :smirk:

• Like 1

The fact that this thread was even started is sad.

I mean come on ppl the riders are just thanking the man above. I mean after all isn't he the reason we are all here?

I'm not a huge religous person at all but I don't see any problem with them thinking the man above.

• Like 2

If he was Muslim would he get 17 virgins for winning the championship :bonk:

He should at least get 1. Isn't that what the booze and trophy girl used to be there for. :smirk:

Same debate/bashing, different year. You guys are idiots. When you become superstar pro racer you can thank unicorns or scotch tape or whatever else you think helped you get there, but until then you have no ground to stand on. Truly pathetic.

• Like 3

Actually, I'd be happier if the winner stood on the podium and thanked his team, his support group, and his sponsors, then told us how hard he'd worked to get there. What is "pathetic" is to see otherwise intelligent individuals subscribe to such fallacies. Nobody is dragging down Dungey's character, given the amount of mud slung in his direction on this forum for not riding aggressive enough for a bunch of punters on the sidelines, I'd think he'd have a rather thick skin by now.

Dungey is my favourite rider these days, but it makes me cringe every time I hear these guys thank god - it's like watching a teenager stay up all night looking for santa in the fire place. America is frightening in it's fascination with religious belief, and while it's a discussion for a totally different type of forum, the impact of all organized religions on the planet is both marked, and dreadful throughout history.

In my line of work I travel all over the world, work in war zones where religious zeal is thick from all sides, Christian or otherwise, and just have to shake my head at these guys who think that "god" is on their side, whether that be in something so frivolous as racing an SX bike, or serious as waging war... If people could just get over it and stop this unwavering belief in fairy tales, we'd be a lot better off. Somebody mentioned "heathenism..." might want to look into where most Christian belief and ceremony comes from sometime - it's not original, surprise.

Anyway, this will go nowhere, so that's the last I have to say on the subject. PM's are welcome.

"A fool says in his heart there is no God"

I'm assuming form your little corner of the world you have explored the furthest reaches of existemce and can come back with your "proof" there is no God? Until that is the case, you are hardly in a position to determine the existence of anything , either for yourself or someone else. If, on the other hand, you choose to deny God exists because it is easier and less painful than to acknowledge something greater than yourself that you must answer to at some point, at least have the courage to say that. It would be a more honest statement. As far as anybody thanking God, or anybody else for that matter, on the podium they have earned that right through their efforts. When you earn your way to a podium finish you may simply get up there and thank yourself I suppose. If you don't want to hear them, change the channel or turn the sound down.

• Like 2

It's sad that it feels almost like a popularity contest. Who loves God more? 'poto, Dungey, or Canard? Who does God love more?

Props to Reed, Weimer, Stewart, Tomac, and others on the podium this year that haven't shared what they think of God. Because, I honestly don't care what any of these kids think about the subject. Use the podium time to share your thoughts about the race, the season, and thank your financial sponsors. I was always told to leave talk of religion and politics to conversations with friends and with people that have asked your opinion.

• Like 2

Fortunately this is America and they can thank who ever they want.

For now:

Just wait for the lawsuit regarding display of religion in the "public" space that encompasses the podium.