Sign in to follow this  

12' 300 xc converted w/ pictures

With other stuff going on and not being able to ride much i've slowly been building my 300 xc into a sx. Here is a few photos from start to finish. Cant wait to ride this thing tomorrow now that its all done. Going to put a 52 tooth sprocket on it (50 stock) and that is it.

Parts:

fmf factory pipe with shorty silencer

SXS hard parts head

Electric Starter and electrical and battery removed with new ignition cover installed

PHDS bar clamps

Side stand removed

Factory Connection suspension with WP low speed valves (unreal)

Removed the giant gas tank (which I love the clear tank) and installed a 250 sx gas tank

Sudco 38mm carb

img4474b.jpg

img0371qw.jpg

rightside300.jpg

left300.jpg

front300d.jpg

leftfront300.jpg

• Like 1

That is sweet looking, BTW, where did you get the RedBull fender graphics?

Hey hey thats not a red bull logo , it doesnt say red bull :smirk: Its just two "red" cows. Thats a take off fender off a buddies bike not sure where he got it at. I saw some on ebay tho.

Saw MXA just did a write up on doing the same thing. Wouldn't it have been a lot cheaper to go from a 250SX to a 300?

Ya its a bit cheaper but the money you lose when you sell a 250 sx compared to a xc is more. XC are very easy to sell here where as the 250 sx that friends have owned couldnt sell them for months.

Norcal, Do you feel the 6 speed xc is better suited for outdoor mx then 250sx converted 5 speed?

Looks beautiful.Is the fmf pipe 300 specific or shared with the 250? Mxa's article on the 300xc said they gained with PC's 300 pipe but actually lost some when they put the 250 pipe on.

what model igintion cover did you use? i have a 09 300xc and i am looking to eliminate elec starter. you use one from a 08 xc?

I really like how you based it on the stock design and improved it it with nice detailing - very clean looking :smirk: Those handlebars look very low - is that a 999 McGrath bend Twinwall (power parts). How do you like those?

Michael

I did read about that pipe (pc) and it worked great on the 250 sx I rode but the Fmf was broader/smoother so I went that route. The ignition cover was just out of the hard parts book it was for the 300, below is the part numbers I used

SXS10300051 CYLINDER HEAD 300 SX $134.87 $134.87

5513010200025 IGNITION COVER $89.77 $89.77

55130040000 IGNITI.COVER GASKET 07 $8.81 $8.81

Drehwurm, yes there 999 mc bars but I have 5mm risers on them. They are also Twinwall bars not fatbars I jusr always remove the cross bar. I been running the ktm factory high bars on the 4 strokes but for some reason on the 300 they feel weird , the mc bars are very low and straight but with the 5mm risers there pretty comfortable now and I can corner better.

Still lost on the gearing I just cant see that MXA says to go up two teeth in the rear the bike stock revs through each gear fairly fast and adding two teeth would make to where id be in 4th , 5th and 6th gear it seems on a track lol I mean im in 3rd and 4th a lot with stock gearing. Im thinking of dropping a tooth to a 49 and putting in the red power valve spring which will make it come on 500 rpm's sooner but with a 49 I could use 2nd through 4th more. I dunno, I need to just test a 49, 51 and 52 and see what I like.

So I shot my buddy Eric that owns works connection an email since I did not have jody's from mxa's email. I asked eric to see why in there latest issue on the 300 xc they made to a sx there running a 52 sprocket on it. For the life of me it did not make sense and I didn't want to buy 4 pockets trying to figure it out. This is Jody's reply

"Perhaps some of the confusion comes from countershaft sprockets. Some of the 300XCs come with a 13 (like the motocross bikes) and some come with 14 (as the specs call for). Willy Musgrave has taken over the testing on our bike and he is running 13/50, but thinks that he should run 13/49. If Hoss has the 14, then we needs to go to the 52. If he has a 13, then he needs to try to make second into first and third into second.

KTM has no explanation of why the bikes are different. They told us that it had a 14, but when we started messing with the gearing, it had a 13. No matter what, first gear is not usable on a motocross track and neither is sixth. Hope this helps, Jody"

That said mine does have the 13 counter sprocket while the manual and others I've read have the 14 . I'll be getting the 49

can't decide my next move. I got rid of my KX, but have a CRF now. I rode a 250SX and also got to ride a newer 13 RMZ that a friend has.

Interesting rides.

Nice bike. This is the 2nd 300XC to 300SX transformation I have seen up here in NorCal. Definitely a smarter way to go rather than doing the mods on an 250SX. I use to buy 250SX and add MXC parts to the bike. The XC does sell way faster than an SX here.