Sign in to follow this  

Pressure washing a dirtbike, be VERY careful. Scary moment.

I recently washed the YZ250 prior to taking it apart for a rebuild. When I took the cylinder off, there was a bunch of water in the crank case.

I have always pressure washed my dirtbikes after the got dirty almost after each ride. Then I start them and warm them up afterwards about 98% of the time to get any water that might have got inside. I just recently started using an exhaust plug when washing my bikes. This is especially important for the 4 strokes since any water that gets in trough the silencer will go straight into the engine, unlike a two stroke. With a two stroke the water would need to go up and then down into the pipe and then up again. The problem is pressurized water getting in through the air filter from under the seat. I recently washed the YZ250 prior to taking it apart for a rebuild. When I took the cylinder off, there was a bunch of water in the crank case. It was not antifreeze, it was clear water. I immediate went and started and warmed up all of my bikes incase they had water in the engines. That was a scary moment. Just though I would share that bit of info with you guys. Tell us about your experiences or suggestions based on your own examples. I would love to here them.

Think about your wheel bearings, suspension links, streering bearings and all the other places on top of the engine you do not want water infiltration.

Unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, do not pressure wash. Soap, and gentle water flow from a hose.

• Like 4

Think about your wheel bearings, suspension links, streering bearings and all the other places on top of the engine you do not want water infiltration.

Unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, do not pressure wash. Soap, and gentle water flow from a hose.

After what I saw, I agree. No more pressure washer for me.

After reading this i decided to scrape all visible mud off of my bike with my nails, and i also lick off existing traces of dirt

This is why I dont wash my bike at all.

+1

i never wash my bikes.

my xr has like 3 years worth of dirt on it

better get on that

been powerwashing my bikes ever since i could remember, never had a problem, tear my bike down to clean and regrease all bearings twice a year and they have never went bad. plugg the airbox, exhaust and spark plug drain hole

i know a guy that drilled out his hubs and linkage and tapped in grease fittings, looks funny but hey it works and he just putts through the trails

I use a small electric pressure washer (low pressure) and I'm careful not to direct spray seals, never had water inside the engine or forks.

If you're gonna do it...this is how.....low powwa :smirk:

I only wash my bike if absolutely necessary with a LOW pressure washer and I'm REAL careful where I point it and keep a distance away to control the penetration of water. I've yet to find water where it shouldnt be after washing.

I always duct tape of the air box grab holes and around the seat so water cant get into the airbox.

Right on dude!

I use my pressure washer from a distance, repack my bearings once a month, and spray the bike down with WD-40 after a wash. Oh, and use an air box cover when washing.

Get a low pressure unit with a wide tip and use an airbox cover and exhaust plug. then dont hit bearings or other bad areas directly

• Like 1

I own a pressure washer, but never use it on my bikes. I haven't had to re-grease or replace a bearing in decades.

A garden hose w/ a nozzle and Shout is all I use.

I own a pressure washer, but never use it on my bikes. I haven't had to re-grease or replace a bearing in decades.

A garden hose w/ a nozzle and Shout is all I use.

I have to replace mine at least once a year...but then again, I ride in this

P2190008.jpg

Don't get beat by the pink bike :smirk:

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, a garden hose, soft scrub brush and i'm alright! :smirk: Dude i can't deal with too much pressure!

• Like 2

I have to replace mine at least once a year...but then again, I ride in this

P2190008.jpg

Don't get beat by the pink bike :smirk:

I have a pink bike in my quiver, but it never sees mud.

s1600_138864440_1290919909.jpg?1294318170

• Like 2