Pressure washing a dirtbike, be VERY careful. Scary moment.

I recently washed the YZ250 prior to taking it apart for a rebuild. When I took the cylinder off, there was a bunch of water in the crank case.

I have always pressure washed my dirtbikes after the got dirty almost after each ride. Then I start them and warm them up afterwards about 98% of the time to get any water that might have got inside. I just recently started using an exhaust plug when washing my bikes. This is especially important for the 4 strokes since any water that gets in trough the silencer will go straight into the engine, unlike a two stroke. With a two stroke the water would need to go up and then down into the pipe and then up again. The problem is pressurized water getting in through the air filter from under the seat. I recently washed the YZ250 prior to taking it apart for a rebuild. When I took the cylinder off, there was a bunch of water in the crank case. It was not antifreeze, it was clear water. I immediate went and started and warmed up all of my bikes incase they had water in the engines. That was a scary moment. Just though I would share that bit of info with you guys. Tell us about your experiences or suggestions based on your own examples. I would love to here them.

Think about your wheel bearings, suspension links, streering bearings and all the other places on top of the engine you do not want water infiltration.

Unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, do not pressure wash. Soap, and gentle water flow from a hose.

After what I saw, I agree. No more pressure washer for me.

been powerwashing my bikes ever since i could remember, never had a problem, tear my bike down to clean and regrease all bearings twice a year and they have never went bad. plugg the airbox, exhaust and spark plug drain hole

i know a guy that drilled out his hubs and linkage and tapped in grease fittings, looks funny but hey it works and he just putts through the trails

I own a pressure washer, but never use it on my bikes. I haven't had to re-grease or replace a bearing in decades.

A garden hose w/ a nozzle and Shout is all I use.

I have to replace mine at least once a year...but then again, I ride in this

P2190008.jpg

Don't get beat by the pink bike ?

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1