Pricing?NADA/KBB

I'm gonna be getting a bike soon(ride a pit now)and would like to know how to price one.

NADA high was like $1200,KBB was $1700 for an '02-3 XR250.

Most of the xr's(01-03) are like $2000 on my craigslist.Its riding season here so I know theyre gonna be a little higher,but most listings I see are wayyy over NADA and still higher than KBB.

What do you guys go by?

I average between KBB/Nada/similar bikes priced in the area (I live in Hawaii everything is WAAAY OVER BOTH). Then have that as a starting point to go by. Then I go out look at the bike and start deducting all the problems I find with a bike. Last one I bought was my son's KTM 50 Pro SR. Guy wanted way to much. I went and looked at it. Found a crack in the frame, leaky brake resevoir, and the clutch engaged as soon as you started the bike. I pointed these out and of course he knew nothing about bikes so I was like these are a big deal and got the bike for a lot less than what he was asking. Got it home got all the problems fixed and have a great bike for a great price.

If the person isn't willing to deal with you, then walk away!!!! I guarantee you another bike will pop up just as soon. Waiting seems to be really hard in this day and age, but remember it is worth it in the long run. If you didn't have the bike yesterday and survived then not having it tomorrow means you will live and be a little richer. JMHO. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

I use them both as merely a price guide and then I follow the market by watching listings come and go on Craigslist. Keep in mind that the prices you are seeing in KBB and NADA arent even comparing the same things.

KBB gives a dealer starting retail price (i.e. a price to start negotiating from) for a bike in excellent condition that does not need refurbished and they give a dealer trade-in price. Prices you are seeing people ask....are just that......you really dont know how much they actually sell them for (and I'm not sure how these price guides know that). NADA pricing is average retail price (not a starting negotiation price for excellent condition bikes) and a low retail price. Both KBB and NADA provide definitionz of their price categories on their websites.

In the Denver Metro area where I live, I have typically been able to pay about 10-20% less than the KBB retail price for very clean, low hour bikes but you have to look around a lot, jump quickly when something comes up and be willing to walk away if you dont get to a satifactory price. I dont even bother to look at the bikes where the people are asking well above the KBB Dealer Retail price....cause I cant get them down to what I think is reasonable. If you study the market on CL for several weeks and compare to KBB & NADA you can get a pretty good feel for what is a good deal that you need to jump at quickly.

One noteable exception around Colorado are KTM's .....KBB always seems to be quite a bit below what I think the market will fetch for KTMs and there are very few that have asking prices at or below KBB retail. Those that do, seem to move on/off CL very quickly. KTM pricing in CA, TX and elsewhere seems significantly less than what I see here in Colorado.

Thanks all!

Yeah I'm still kickin around what bike I want,and when I go riding is kinda dictated by my buddy as I dont drive.So I'm waiting to see if he gets a big bike.+ his kid is just learning so theres that too.

Really want a CRF250X w/ just enough to get it street legal,but only have $1000 right now,so waiting isnt a problem.

I've seen them for $1600 street legal.

+ even offroad in AZ you have to have a title and OHV plate,so I need a bike I'm not gonna have to put another $500 into to get it even offroad legal.

Probably wait and save til its too hot to ride and shop around then.In the meantime,keep checking prices.

Thanks again!

I'm gonna be getting a bike soon(ride a pit now)and would like to know how to price one.

NADA high was like $1200,KBB was $1700 for an '02-3 XR250.

Most of the xr's(01-03) are like $2000 on my craigslist.Its riding season here so I know theyre gonna be a little higher,but most listings I see are wayyy over NADA and still higher than KBB.

What do you guys go by?

Craigslist prices are asking prices - selling prices are very different. KBB is worthless - might be OK for a negotiating too, but no good for anything else. NADA is the accepted pricing standard. A seller can ask whatever he wants, but I'd never pay more than NADA.

Remember, If you buy a bike and it gets stolen the very next day, listed NADA value is the most you'll see from an insurance company.

JayC

nada/kbb worthless in most areas

and you can easily get more than nada if you know how to work with insurance companies

Please explain?

How does an insurance company have anything to do with you to selling a bike for more money...unless you are suggesting having the bike "stolen" and then collecting instead of selling it?

Edited by Revelyell

Please explain?

How does an insurance company have anything to do with you to selling a bike for more money...unless you are suggesting having the bike "stolen" and then collecting instead of selling it?

is that what jayc250x was suggesting? If it is then I take back my comment

I thought he was refering to how much an insurnace compnay is willing to pay for a totaled or stolen machine, I'm not sure why you think insurance fraud has anything to do with it

is that what jayc250x was suggesting? If it is then I take back my comment

I thought he was refering to how much an insurnace compnay is willing to pay for a totaled or stolen machine, I'm not sure why you think insurance fraud has anything to do with it

I did not realize that you were responding directly to the poster above you (since there was no quote) instead of the OP. This made me take your comment out of context as a singular statement instead of the directed response it was intended to be.

ETA: I know people do "dispose" of blown up, beat to hell or undesireable bikes then report them stolen, they get NADA for them instead of the the very low $$$ they could ever hope to sell them for.

This shit pisses me off becuase it makes my insurance rates higher.

Edited by Revelyell

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah like an 03 CRF150f is $1300 KBB,$750 NADA

I'd be willing to go $750 if it was in exc condish,but dude wants $1000 firm,firm,firm,which he says "is a fair price".

Too much for another playbike.

I see yzf's and wrf400-426's go for $1000 a couple times a week,they usually sell 1st day.

Thanks again for the replies,definetly helps.

Maybe I dont really 'get' the market down in Arizona or understand the NADA pricing....but here is a listing from Craigslist and E-Bay across the country and $750 certainly isnt the average asking price. All but one are asking $1000+. Usually I dont see that big of a difference between KBB and NADA. The KBB retail price you indicated looks pretty close to an average asking price $1300

http://www.bikefinds.com/honda-crf150f-for-sale

Having been on both sides of this (seller and buyer)......a 'fair price' is whatever the market is willing to pay.

I watch CL pretty closely here in Denver Metro area and I certainly dont see many WR400 or WR426's going for $1000. I can imagine if they are priced that low and are in decent shape they would sell very quickly.

With KBB, remember that the value reported by this service is an average “listing” price of the item for sale reported by dealers in the local geographical area based on the items perceived “condition.”. The value is NOT the actual selling price. The two are usually worlds apart.

For private party, side of the road, garage, parking lot, cash transactions KBB is virtually meaningless. In a private party transaction, only a fool expects to sell for KBB and only a bigger fool pays KBB.

Just remember, that in buying a used motorcycle, most of the time you are buying some one else’s headache. Or a migraine about to happen. There are times when some one is selling a bike for size reasons, retirement from the sport, or they just buy a new bike every couple years and sell the old one. Use common sense.