Sign in to follow this  

how to improve brakes?

iv got a 100 and the front brake is not the greatest. i actually dont use it much, but have been trying to get better at some techniques like stoppies. i can do them on my mountain bike, but cant even get the rear wheel to hop off the ground on my 100. the wheel wont even lock up on any sort of fairly high traction dirt. i took it apart and sanded the drum and pads a little, and it made it worse. what are some easy things to try??

Edited by MCRIPPPer

I have that bike and the brakes suck . You can try to bleed it and see if thats any better but from there you can do a bunch of things. Better pads, stainless lines, bigger master cylinder, better calipers. I think you can change that to disc brake.

Edited by motodude79

the xr100 has brake cable, it is not hydraulic. you must have a modified 100 or maybe you dont even have an xr100 maybe it is something else lol. the only way i know of to go to disk is to get cr 80 forks. then you have to lift the back somehow as well.

try rotating front brake arm down one spline, this will require disconnecting the cable and muscling it back on. Even then i dont know if it will ever do stoppies

Check with the old dual rear shock trials guys.

Yamaha TY 200 or Honda TLR 200, Both run drum brakes and the owners will have the brakes set up to stop on a dime.

First trick is to install new quality shoes. Second is to legnthen the arm where the cable connects to the drum by about 1/4" (usually install one from another model or cut / weld to legnthen yours). Second is to adjust the front brakes a little tight as your leaver will have more power but less throw (with this mod).

another tip is to move your front brake perch inward so you are grabbing the outer part of the leaver ~ this will give you more leverage for locking the front wheel.

Edited by mbwhitfi

A terminator front brake cable from Engines Only makes a big difference.

Loosen the front axle a little bit and squeeze the brake handle hard.

while squeezing the brake tighten the axle, this centers the brke on the hub and allows the brake to work more efffectively.

• Like 1

i washed the shoes and drum with soap and water. it helped alot!!it actually kinda stops now lol. still hard to lock the front wheel tho.

iv seen pix of guys doing stoppies on these things with the drum brakes so there must be some way to get the stock brake to work better.