Sign in to follow this  

Just Checked My Valves For The First Time

So i've had my 2005 CRF250R for about 1 1/2 seasons now and i just checked my valves for the first time. This was actually my first time checking the valves on any bike. I was surprised how easy it was and now that i know how easy it was, ill be doing it more often. Here were my results.

Left intake: 0.005 in.

Right intake: 0.005 in.

Left Exhaust: 0.010 in.

Right Exhaust: 0.019 in.

I know the right exhaust is a little off and plan to fix that as soon as i can get the shim for it.

How hard was it and how long did it take you. Im tired of paying somebody $100 to check mine. Im not very good mechanicaly. Any special tools?

Edited by crf250rrider

Checking the valves isn't that difficult. You just need a manual, socket set,spark plug wrench, allen wrenches and a set of feeler gages. Read your manual and take your time. Have confidence in your self and you'll do just fine!!!!! It'll take you approx. 1 1/2 hrs. the first time.

How hard was it and how long did it take you. Im tired of paying somebody $100 to check mine. Im not very good mechanicaly. Any special tools?

I know nothing about 4 strokes, had mine less than 6 months. I checked the valves myself and it was VERY easy. I took my time and double checked everything and now I've done it once it will be much quicker.

Checking them was EXTREMELY easy and only took about 30 mins with double checking everything . No special tools required. All you need is a wrench, 10mm socket, spark plug socket, and feeler gauge. I didn't even use the crankshaft to line up tdc, i just listened for the decompressor and lined up the marks on the camshaft.

Here's a link to a very helpful guide on how to do the valves on the crf250r/x: http://crfsonly.com/howto/crf250x/crf-valve-adjustment/crf250x-valve-adjustment.php