Sign in to follow this  

Short gears...?

My friend and I went riding, I have 06 crf250 and he has an 02 yzf250 and we both noticed that my gearing is really short, in 1st gear its just brap shift almost instantly but on his bike he can keep it in 1st much longer. Is there anyway for me to make my bike more like his, we both like his setup way more. I noticed his bike stock has 13/48 sprockets and mine are 13/51 that doesnt seem like much of a difference? I guess my question is will changing the sprockets actually help with this? I still want the bottom end power, but my bike will only lift in 1st from a slow roll not clutching it of course so I dont know what to do, my bike could use new sprockets and a chain, I just need help on what to get, going to the dunes soon.

Edited by DirtNwateR

You should definantly be able to tell a diffrence 3 teeth on the rear sproket. The more teeth on the rear means more bottom less top and less teeth on the rear means more top less bottom end.

You should definantly be able to tell a diffrence 3 teeth on the rear sproket. The more teeth on the rear means more bottom less top and less teeth on the rear means more top less bottom end.

What would be a good all around setup? Im looking to buy a chain/sprocket kit.

It depends on where you ride. On my 07 I liked the rear to have between 50-52 teeth depending on the type of track I rode. Stock is 51.

I just changed the gearing on my 05 from 13/51 to 13/48 and love it. I'm gettiing less wheel spin and gears are holding on alot longer. The biggest difference is that it takes alot more to hit the rev-limiter.

13/51 or 3/50 is the ideal set up. If you are wanting more out of the gears you have then I would go with 13/49 or 13/50. You don't want to do anything too drastic.

Edited by swedishfishmx