Sign in to follow this  

new pit bike help/suggestions

Ive been doing research for about a year now..

I got into the pit bike game with a ssr125 semi auto. I had plenty of mods done to it and it worked but still always felt cheap and the rear end never kept me feeling safe.. had worn rubber rear swingarm bushings still :/ after exploding the stock rear wheel and figuring out how much of a pain it was to get a new stronger one, I sold it to get a more "legit" one.. thats where im at now..

I also realized I want a 110-crf70 based frame size as im 6'4" 185

Anyway, Im looking to spend under 2k TOTAL.. under 1500 would be ideal!

Im between these bikes....

-basic modded used klx 110(my friend has one and while its reliable/fun/everything feels smooth from shifting to starting it where my ssr never felt "legit", its boring and Id want more suspension out of it and thats when the money comes into play :/)

-ssr160r

-ssr150tx pro

-used pitster pro 140 or 160.. maybe lxr if I can find one

Ill be using it for a mix of trail/racing.. I just need to feel confident hitting jumps where I never really did on my old ssr.. and it wasnt built for that kind of thing to begin with.. so obviously ANY of those will help my confidence.. the forks where just garbage on that ssr.

and my final question..

If I get a klx110 based bike(lets say the ssr150tx pro for example) and I feel its time to step up and I buy a klx110 frame or bbr 110 frame, will the rest of the parts bolt up to it?

Thanks in advance!

Have you by any chance looked at a Piranha? I bought a 160 and have been nothing but happy with the bike. Actually pulled a couple of second place results in the open category where I race and it has always felt really solid to me. Customer service from them is awesome as well. Just thought I would throw that out there for you. Good luck in whatever you choose and let us know what you end up with.

Elpato

Looked em up, the 11+ ones are now in the lead of my want list! Thanks for the suggestion! I'd like it under 2k shipped but well see..

Looked em up, the 11+ ones are now in the lead of my want list! Thanks for the suggestion! I'd like it under 2k shipped but well see..

Give them a call and talk with Jack Walchuck. Just let him know Rich from Hawaii sent you. He is a really cool down to earth guy, who is really involved in pitbike racing. Look them up on Facebook. They sponsor and pay out prize money. Not many pitbike companies hold and sponsor races like they do. Again Jack will work with you and get you what you need at around the price you want. I highly recommend them and that is about all I can say about that. Have a good one.

Sounds great man! That's all awesome to hear! I'll get a hold of em in a month or two as snows on the ground :-/ (just moved from California to Minnesota :-/ ). Really looking forward to my future 160r :-D

Sounds great man! That's all awesome to hear! I'll get a hold of em in a month or two as snows on the ground :-/ (just moved from California to Minnesota :-/ ). Really looking forward to my future 160r :-D

Don't miss out on some good indoor racing waiting for the snow to melt. Did you look at the latest videos they have up? Don't want you to miss out!!!!

I don't wanna miss out either! If I can find a series not too far from me I may have the pick it up a little sooner... :-D

Now to prove the wife right that I couldn't be patient.. Again... hahaha

Check out planetminis.com. Good site with a lot of knowledgable people.

GENERAL PIT BIKE SIZE & USAGE GUIDE - TBolt USA Tech Database!

Most all Pit bikes resemble Japan Minis from Honda , Kawasaki ect

But are far more advanced and set up for adults

"50" BASE or Mini

This means the bike uses Honda CRF50 Body , Seat , Gas Tank

Wheels and suspension may/will be Longer and Larger than CRF50

The overall size is the smaller Pit bike size

"110" Base or Mid Size

This means the bike uses KLX110 Body , Seat , Gas Tank

(SSR TX-2 ,PITSTER PRO X4R)

Other Mid Size use CRF70 Body , seat , gas tank

(SSR160R , PP X5 , Piranha 160R)

and LXR uses Yamaha TT-R110 type style

Wheels and suspension may/will be Longer and Larger than CRF50

The overall size is the smaller Pit bike size

Standard entry level or Full Race Pit bikes

Full Race Pit bikes would be Set up with High end suspension and chassis components and be able to use in MX competition

(PP LXR , X4R , SSR B2 ,SSRTX-2 SSR160R, Piranha ZXT and P160R

Standard entry level bikes would be recommended for Light duty off road , Around back yards and Pit riding during events

like SSR125SR