Sign in to follow this  

rejettED

Removed the snorkle and exhaust baffle. Needles on the fourth notch 120 main 42 pilot fuel screw 2.5 tuns out. bike has issues idling now. It seems to idle ok then ill rev it up and when it comes back to idle it sits at about 1500 rpm then if I rev it up it goes back down to a low idle. The bike does this repededly. Any suggestions?

I'd say the 42 pilot is way too lean with the intake restrictor removed. A 42 pilot is too lean even when the restrictor is installed. The intake restrictor increases signal across the circuits so when you remove it the carb meters leaner. Think of the intake restrictor as a slight choke and it'll make sense. Most 230s like a 45 pilot and many 230s like a 48 pilot, especially when the air is cold. My 2009 runs best with a 48 pilot in the winter and with a 45 pilot in the summer.

When the pilot is too lean you will have too much throttle opening, causing the carb to start metering off the main, even at idle. The other thing I've seen before is a missing o-ring at the idle mixture screw. If this o-ring is missing air will bypass the screw and cause inconsistent idle speeds. The o-ring often stays in the carb when you remove the screw and then gets lost when you blow air through the circuits during cleaning. Did you remove the mixture screw when you were into the carb? If so I'd start by checking that o-ring. In any case you should install a 45 pilot so you can lower the slide and reduce the signal across the main circuit.

This very same thing happend to my buddy's late-model XR250R and it was due to a missing o-ring. A Honda dealer serviced the carb and somehow the o-ring never got re-installed. Brilliant...

Please let us know what you find...

Edited by VortecCPI

Didnt have the fuel screw out so that shouldnt be a problem. I did ask about the pilot when I was at the bike shop the other day and he said that the pilot only effects the first quarter of the throttle and a could adjust the mixture screw out a little more to compensate for the 42 pilot. I cant believe I went to every shop in town and couldnt find a 45. The guy at thw shop also said if it runs a little lean at low rpms it wont hurt the motoe because theres not enough btu's

A 42 pilot will be awfully lean in my experience but it's true you won't hurt the bike. You'll just have to deal with finicky starts and long warm ups. My 230 would need the choke after sitting for just 10 minutes when it had a 42 pilot!

I still recommend the installation of a 45 pilot due to the removal of the intake restrictor. I've never seen a 230 run well with a 42 pilot, even with the intake restrictor installed. Both our 230s run best with a 45 pilot in the summer. One likes 2 turns out and the other a little over one turn out. In the winter one needs a 48 pilot with about 1/2 turn out and the other likes about two turns out with a 45 pilot. Everything I know and have seen tells me that 42 pilot is way too lean.

The one other thing to check is the carb-to-intake joint. Make sure the carb is well seated inside the intake boot and the clamp is good and tight. Spray a little starter fluid around the junction while the bike is idling. If the idle changes the joint is leaking air.

Good luck!

Edited by VortecCPI

Ya my bike took forever to warm up and had a hard time starting but I fired it up today and even after just chnging the main it started way easier and warmed up super fast. Well I reallly wanna try my new forks so ill take it for a short ride this weeknd and get a pilot on order

I just installed a 45 pilot and a 120 main and boy what a difference in the start up. I can take the choke off after about 30-45 seconds and it runs. Before I would struggle just to keep it running at all. I also removed the intake snorkel and tried removing the exhaust baffle, but it was a little too loud for me. I installed a extended mixture screw as well and hope to dial it in as soon as the weather warms up.

You'll be okay with the exhaust baffle installed and the 45/120 jetting. It's the intake restrictor that has the biggest impact on carb metering. Be sure to adjust the mixture screw for the highest idle once the bike is warmed up.

Glad to hear it all worked out!

Ya I tried messing with the fuel screw some more today and I still get the popping and funny idleing so ill be ordering the 45 pilot tomorrow put it in and see how it runs from there

I just installed a 45 pilot and a 120 main and boy what a difference in the start up. I can take the choke off after about 30-45 seconds and it runs. Before I would struggle just to keep it running at all. I also removed the intake snorkel and tried removing the exhaust baffle, but it was a little too loud for me. I installed a extended mixture screw as well and hope to dial it in as soon as the weather warms up.

I liked the new bark from the baffle being removed. After I upgraded to a 250 I love my stock pipes because this thing is louddd. My 250 is too loud and illegal with the CHM pipe so the stock ones are my best bet.

Yeah I don't mind the extra noise, but my little ones run and hide when the exhaust baffle is removed. I'm going to experiment and see if I can tune the carb with and without the exhaust baffle. That way when I'm out in the trails I can let'r rip!

Some people have experimented with drilling some holes in the baffle and then reinstalling it. This does change the sound. When you remove the baffle totally you have a coffee can for a muffler. No packing at all. The pro-cuircit muffler may not be much quiter but has a different note to the exhaust. Not so raspy cause it has packing in the muffler. Opening up the exhaust is a must on the 230. With stock pipe and jettingon the 230 my daughter on a stock xr100 was making me think I was getting old or slow or something. Now with a little work on the 230 all I can say is keep up with the Old Man.

In your opinion is the aftermarket pipe giving you as much gain as just removing the baffle? I don't know if it was the loudness of the unbaffled pipe or just the tone that I didn't care for. It was definitely raspy and I prefer a lower rumble. In any case the bike starts and runs a whole lot better and I haven't even dialed in the mixture screw yet. Jetting is definitely a worth while mod even if you leave all the baffles in place. IMHO. It would be great to get the bike making enough power to lift the front wheel without slipping the clutch, but that may take a bigger bore and a cam.

The benefits of aftermarket mufflers depends on how quiet you want them to be. Wide open OEM or aftermarket mufflers are very loud, but will make the most power when rejetted to take advantage of the reduced pressure drop.

However, if you buy an aftermarket pipe with an insert like an FMF QuietCore, then it won't sound as loud as a stock muffler with the insert removed and it with have a more pleasing tone. The designers discovered that the resonance chambers added to headers, like the FMF PowerBomb, reduce the noise level without an increase in back pressure (sorry if this sounds like an FMF ad ).

For me, I've replaced my stock headers with aftermarket headers and replaced my stock mufflers with an aftermarket mufflers with a "quiet" insert and have achieved a reduction in exhaust system back pressure while not getting too loud and maintaining a pleasing tone. Also, there are not many opportunities to reduce weight on modern dirt bikes. However, I can take off a few pounds with an aftermarket system, especially the Ti ones.

Get your bike jetted well. then, just rev the motor to get it on the power curve, slide your butt back on the seat, and pull up on the bars. Don't really need the clutch !!!

The stock system on the CRF230F is pretty good. Mike Coes get 27.5 RWHP out of his 230 and it has a stock system: http://www.coeshow.c...page_10761.html. He told me the stock system worked best for him and it had the best balance of sound and useable power.

Another thing a lot of people don't realize is that most aftermarket systems require repacking every 8 to 12 hours. The stock system requires no maintenance at all and you can install the baffle with just one screw if you need to be quiet.

I've never seen a dyno sheet for any of these systems. My guess is they probably have little, if any, net gain in the total area under the torque curve. They may make slightly more peak horsepower but that means they're giving up horsepower somewhere else. The total area under the curve is what counts in the real world.

Edited by VortecCPI

Wow! 27.5 RWHP must be a blast. I think I'm going to keep the stock exhaust for a while. I just got my 09' in December and have done these mods so far:

Removed snorkel

Rejetted 45 pilot 120 main extended mixture screw

new tires

Baja Designs dual sport kit

Plated

Taken exhaust baffle out

reinstalled exhaust baffle

Things yet to do:

Acewell or trail tech speedo

Adjust sag

sorry to hijack

Another thing a lot of people don't realize is that most aftermarket systems require repacking every 8 to 12 hours.

I've never seen a dyno sheet for any of these systems. My guess is they probably have little, if any, net gain in the total area under the torque curve. They may make slightly more peak horsepower but that means they're giving up horsepower somewhere else.

Aftermarket mufflers do not have to be repacked after 8 hours.

Aftermarket systems can increase hp 1-2 hp across the rpm band and smooth "dips" in the OEM curves.

Aftermarket systems can reduce weight 3 - 5 lbs.

If you can't afford one, that's fine. If you are good rider and riding with a well jetted OEM exhaust, you will kick the butt of a poor rider with the latest carbon fiber-titanium-resonance system. Sure, you can pull the insert out of a stock muffler and get good hp numbers and a very loud pipe. But, if you want the best performance, with a great sound, looks trick, and is lightweight, hang the heavy, ugly OEM system in the corner of the garage

Edited by Sofiedog

So are you happy with your FMF or would you try a different system if you were to do it again?

Sorry. I was speaking with generalities when I was using FMF as an example. I have FMF systems on my WR250F and CRF450X. I have a ProCircuit system on my CRF230F. I am very happy with it. It looks great, is a few lbs lighter, and has a lower pressure drop than the stock system with a baffle.