Sign in to follow this  

KX450f Clutch install?

So I installed a Hinson clutch today and put in some different plates along with it. Can someone translate the manual for me and the color coding when putting the plates in or do I just drop them in fiber first and end with a fiber?

So I installed a Hinson clutch today and put in some different plates along with it. Can someone translate the manual for me and the color coding when putting the plates in or do I just drop them in fiber first and end with a fiber?

Fiber first. Metal plates may have a 'sharp' side and a 'dull' side at the edge where they are stamped out. If they do, sharp side goes down.

Make sure you soak the new fiber plates in your engine oil for at least an hour first.

The stock clutch on some years have (2) different fiber plates that go on the outside. I believe the Hinson plates are all the same.

Edited by Krannie

So, the Sharp edge for the plates go down. That means sharp edge inside I would imagine?

I have an 09 KX450F, but the clutch are from a stock 11'. They have normal fibers that look all the same, my 09 has the wider gapped fibers with the first and last plates that are different. Hope that's correct, I'm assuming it's an 11 clutch since that's what was told to me.

Thanks

Edited by duhameister