Sign in to follow this  

1994 usd conversion? stems or bearings?

Anyone know where to get conversion stem? Or conversion bearings from anymore?? Putting 2000 cr or 2004 crf forks on with my rebuild and cant seem to find any stem or bearing conversion kits anymore?? Or bearing numbers if you got them?? Thanks!

Ok what about a spacer for the top side?? Just make a spacer? Or will it be needed? If thats the case Im sure a bearing shop can find me a matching bearings to work?

As these bearings are 15mm in height just as the stock XR ones, you won't need spacers for the bearings. But as the XR frame neck is shorter than the CRF neck, to have the threaded top of the stem in the correct position you will need some large washers between the neck and the clamps. You will see it once you push the CRF stem through the XR neck, then rush to the closest hardware store!

Anyone got any pics of there conversions? Stem and neck area? So really all it takes is the correct lower turned down bearing and some spacers?

See here, he's machined the CRF stem for the stock XR bearings, but the stem length and position is the same as in your case.

http://www.advrider....&postcount=3434

You can put a spacer under the lower bearing+seal (onto the top of the lower clamp), as using only a top spacer puts the top clamp considerably higher - and works as a bar riser!

www.emigracing.com offers a conversion stem now as well. Uses stock XR bearings and they also have the bushing you need.

I cant seem to find anything for my xr on the emig site??? Its kinda weird to navigate and not easy to use etc. any part #'s for that emig stem etc?? Thanks again guys!

Sorry cant help with the USD conversion but..... If you have not bought the USD forks yet you can save all the hassle and just slide some late model 96+ forks up into your stock triple clamps, A lot of people will tell you the late model forks are much better than the stock pre 96 forks, Also you will find that the trail (geometry) may be out using some USD forks

I own a 1993 model and I cant see the point of going to USD CRF or MX style forks when the rest of the bike is just simply not going to be on the same level, From the handlebars back it will still only be a trail bike

I own a 1993 model and I cant see the point of going to USD CRF or MX style forks when the rest of the bike is just simply not going to be on the same level, From the handlebars back it will still only be a trail bike

it transformed my xr400... it s still a trail bike, now it s just better... faster riding is def'n the go... with my sticks sticking about 10 - 12 mm off the top clamp the geometry is pretty much the same... maybe the bike sits 1/2 inch taller in the front.... the ONLY negative is the fact that i lost a little in the turning circle.... i d do it again in a heartbeat...

doing the usd for the simple fact my Normally ridden bike is a crf450r and I love that suspension! All offroad riding etc. The old style forks just flex to much and dont have good enough adjustments etc. I use the xr for work and as a backup bike etc.

That emig stem that you posted Wallrat? Says xr400/600/650L etc. Nothing said about the older xr250?? are they the same? Thanks guys!! I can get the sem pressed and machined if necassary. But would like to do things the simple way!

I spose it may be worth while if the rear suspension was also done up and the bike was ridden very hard or jumped alot?

This old thread has a good write up>

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/505346-here-is-my-usd-build-thread/page__hl__usd%20rake

@ ozcalxr4

When I mentioned gemoetry I mean the rake & trail (Not the bar position) There is a bit of a guide/diagram here>

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

As long as the front wheel ends up back in the same spot the trail will be the same, I would be taking some measurements before the conversion just to make sure

Dont forget some pics along the way too