Sign in to follow this  

Thrashed Airboxes/Repairs

So it looks like all the airboxes available used for my 77 RM250 have pretty much come to the end of the line. They are all cracking, and just general pieces of junk at this time.

There was a guy making fiberglass reproductions of them, but apparently he fell of the face of the earth or something.

I've kinda been toying with the idea of making my own new carbon fiber one as a replacement. Anybody ever try anything like that. Maybe make a mold from the old one?

Whatcha think?

Matt

well......... I know as in the case of my TS Suzuki's the airboxes are metal and originally contained paper filters. Junk from the gitgo. You can (as you well know I am sure) use a Uni cone filter with a sock on it. But! it is not OEM..... I am thinking of deleting the air box completely on my project TS250R and using just a Mikuni foam cone filter, way better than stock for filtration and breathing and no one really see's it with the pipe and side covers on....

Edited by Motosprtman

I don't see why you couldn't make a mold from your old one, but the thing is you want to make the mold now before they get any worse. Once those tabs and supports start breaking off, it's going to get very frustrating very quickly.

My XT had a air box cover with a hole bashed in it when I got it, some thin sheet metal (think it was for a chimney flue, but I don't remember), a hammer, a handful of rivets and a drill and it was good enough to ride.

Personally, I'd remake one out of sheet metal, buy an air box boot you think would work, cut a circular hole in it and add a panel to allow you to get access to it and off you go.

OK, so here's where I am at:

imag0283j.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I made the mold out of plaster of paris. Now I need to clean it up, get it smooth, and then I'm going to vacuum form a new box with it. The brown stuff is crap from inside the airbox. It should sand off easily. The molds look pretty crappy in the pic, but in person, they look all right.

If that doesn't end up working, maybe I'll try making one out of carbon fiber.

Matt

Edited by azjeep