Sign in to follow this  

Old Gas...How to clean tank.

Been bringing a 85 XR350 back to life. Cleaned the carb and adjusted the valves.

Got her to run again using my 02 XR400 tank. Now it's time to use stock tank, but I want to clean it first.

Is there a product that I can use to make the job easy, or is carb cleaner and a good swishing around the way to go???

Dont want to put her back together just for the varnish to gum the carb up again.

Steel tank right?

There is an article on Adventure Rider where a tank is filled with cheap cola. Three two-liter bottles. There is enough acid in it to remove a lot of rust.

Pull the petcock and use a bolt as acid eat the aluminum or magnesium petcocks. I know.

I have to coat the tank of my TL125 to fix rusted leaks.

Are you just cleaning out old gas residue or do you have a lot of rust?

There are many techniques, depending on how bad it is.

The PO said he drained the tank, but it is off the bike sittin on the floor leaking a bit if of yellowish fluid.

Figure it could use a cleaning.

An 85 xr350, that would be a plastic tank.Put some lacquer thinner in it and shake it up , that will clean the crap out. WD doesn't do shit.

If theres thick jello stuff in there, put some nuts and bolts in there with the lacquer thinner.

Pull the fuel stop and clean seperatetly. The Lacquer thinner is much cheaper that carb cleaner . Put some new fuel hose on too.