Sign in to follow this  

Is there a way to fix inbedded brass nuts for shrouds in gas tank?

Not a biggie, but thought to ask:

ONe of the brass nuts that is inbedded into the gas tank of my old 1991 KX250 is stripped.

The bolt that holds the shroud on just spins and spins.

No biggie, I just take the tank and shroud off as one assembly.

But is there a way to get that brass nut out of there and "glue" in a new one so it's right?

Don't want to make things worse and crack the tank...

Didn't look at it real close as it was all together and didn't want to pry/force it apart.

CooHead

If you search this forum you'll find some info.

Some people use a drill and spin the bolt at a high rate of speed, essentially melting the tank plastic so the nutsert can be removed. I don't recommend this because you loose the achorn shape of the nutsert in the tank.

You can grind off the head of the bolt, or cut the shroud to gain access to the nut sert. I used a small soldering iron to pull back the tank plastic so the brass nut can be removed. then put the nut in a vice, removed the bolt, chased the threads and applied some never-seize to the threads. I filled the hole in the tank with epoxy, then inserted the brass nutsert, pushed back the tank plastic with the soldering gun.

Even though the brass spins, there's still some hex shape to the hole in the tank. If you use a drill to remove it the hole will be completely distorted and you'll rely 100% on the epoxy.

Edited by Jeekinz

For what it's worth, I did the drill method with great success. Jeekinz way is probably better, but the drill method was quick and effective. I didn't need to buy a new insert, an 8mm and a channel lock loosened it up and popped it back in. Just be sure to use the proper epoxy.

Edited by poldies4

Just be sure to use the proper epoxy.

What's the "proper epoxy" to glue the gas tank plastics?

I have a friend that has this problem. I also have a crack in on of my shrouds, which is being held together by the graphics. If I get a new shroud, I may need to get new graphics, and that would be pricey (I have custom, one-of-a-kind graphics on my bike), so was wondering if I can use some sort of glue to patch the crack and get another season out of 'em?

Thanks!

I use tower hobbies 6 minute two part epoxy for all sorts of things ..it is even gas resistant.. you could use the old zip-tie and soldering iron method to wel the shroud from the back side..this new thumper site is giving me fits when i try to copy a link to it from another site

I have a friend that has this problem. I also have a crack in on of my shrouds, which is being held together by the graphics. If I get a new shroud, I may need to get new graphics, and that would be pricey (I have custom, one-of-a-kind graphics on my bike), so was wondering if I can use some sort of glue to patch the crack and get another season out of 'em?

Thanks!

I've used "Automotive Goop" to repair plastics on my KX, like the fork lower guards. It's pretty durable once it hardens up.

I also have a spinning tank insert. Was going to use Goop for that fix as well.

Edited by keepiton2

Thanks!

Certain epoxies are made for specific types of material. I used a type that was rated for brass and most plastics. It is all based on surface area to glue. An insert in the tank has a lot of surface area to bond to, a shroud is thin and flat, not much to bond to. I have had luck with applying a brace inside and bedding it in epoxy. A flat piece of plastic on the back works good. Just make sure the crack is lined up just right and butter it thin on both pieces. Wont break again in that spot. Hope it works and buys you some time. Good luck.

Go to your local home center and each 2 part epoxy will have a list of what it bonds to. It cost about 5 bucks or so.

Edited by poldies4

My shroud crack is almost surgical in nature. The graphics are holding it in perfect alignment, so buttering the edges will be trivial.

I'll check out some different epoxies at the local home and/or auto centers and see if I can find something good for plastics....especially the PFTE stuff that they make bike plastics out of.

Worse case, I'll get new shrouds and see if I can peel the graphics off the cracked one and glue it back on to a new shroud.

Thanks!