Sign in to follow this  

drz400 full of water

so to make it short my buddy's brother passed away, we go to clean out his house and the drz is in a shed with the chain off and the front sprocket off, apparrently the chain came off and wacked the clutch actuator housing, he had gotten the thing welded up. so it sits outside on a trailer for about 2 months and I go down to get it and bring it up to my house to go through it.

First thing I find is the mounting clam on the fmf has wore a hole through the top of the silencer (about 2x3 inches so I remove it and a bunch of water pores out of the head pipe, next i remove the head pipe, it to is full of water, next the spark plug and use a serindge to suck out 2/3 of a pickle jar of water, I replaced the water with same amount of kerosene to keep it from rusting when the air hits it, I then pull the drain plug and get a flow of clean water (about 2 quarts) followed by oil.

I am on the frence about filling the engine with kerosene and letting it set for a few days, I have not turned the crank over yet, battery is on the charger with little hope of revival ( it had 4.3 volt before hooking it up to the charger) plus I removed the key when we loaded it up and gave it to my buddy for safe keeping............gone

I suppose next is the carb as it is probably full of water too.

The only bad thing I heard about kerosene in an engine was because of one that was so covered in sluge internaly that it loosend all that crap and plugged some oil passages causing problems that way, and it was not a motorcycle engine. Other than that I've never heard of kerosene ruining and engine before so I think that would probably be ok, just make sure to clean it out real good. Good luck!

Edited by JEB1962

yeah I know sadley I am the one who always has to fix things, I know how fasst rust will happen on things like main bearings, off to fill her up with kero

I use kerosene becuase thats what I have in one of my tanks. everything flushed out really clean so I filled her up with freshh oil and new fuel and started her up and let it run for a minute, the FMF rear clamp ate through the top of the silencer so I pop rivited a patch on. I bypassed the clutch safety and the kick stand safety. I need to remove the ignition switch and take it down to arrowhead lock and safe to have a key made for it and find a chain and front sprocket.

on a positive note water is pretty good at preserving things when completely submerged, its only when they are wet and exposed to air that the problem comes about. personally I would have done the exact same thing you did. if that much work is needed to the engine then I would attempt to run it and if it blows up I would buy a new engine.

I use kerosene becuase thats what I have in one of my tanks. everything flushed out really clean so I filled her up with freshh oil and new fuel and started her up and let it run for a minute, the FMF rear clamp ate through the top of the silencer so I pop rivited a patch on. I bypassed the clutch safety and the kick stand safety. I need to remove the ignition switch and take it down to arrowhead lock and safe to have a key made for it and find a chain and front sprocket.

Now that you have ran it ,drain it again and replace with new oil run it for several minutes and change it again.....

If its not noisy and or blowing blue smoke you may be lucky..

Now that you have ran it ,drain it again and replace with new oil run it for several minutes and change it again.....

If its not noisy and or blowing blue smoke you may be lucky..

+1, a couple more oil changes are in order very soon.

well i think the water was under the oil and when drained the oil came down and coated everything that was exposed to the water instantly on its way out every thing is quite as a drz can be and no smoke