Issue with Bark busters on throttle side

I took mine off and used a hacksaw to cut off enough of the throttle tube so that when installed, there was a 1/8" gap between the end of the throttle and the end of the bar. Doing that makes it impossible for it to hang up.

I got that advice here on TT. You would think dirt and stuff would get in there (I was doubtful), but after two years like that, I haven't had a problem and never had the throttle hang up.

Jim.

I forgot to mention after you whack the end off, smooth out edge with a file. hacksaw or sawzall will work, but you usually cut off more than necessary, leaving extra room for grip to bind and stick your throttle. It looks cleaner and you can use the entire grip, by only hollowing out the center

I forgot to mention after you whack the end off, smooth out edge with a file. hacksaw or sawzall will work, but you usually cut off more than necessary, leaving extra room for grip to bind and stick your throttle. It looks cleaner and you can use the entire grip, by only hollowing out the center

This is good advice. I cut the end off of mine with a hack saw, and was really careful, but still ended up with the grip being too short - no way around it. carefully drill out the end to preserve as much of the throttle tube as possible, or purchase an aftermarket tube that has an open end.

This is good advice. I cut the end off of mine with a hack saw, and was really careful, but still ended up with the grip being too short - no way around it. carefully drill out the end to preserve as much of the throttle tube as possible, or purchase an aftermarket tube that has an open end.

ding....ding...ding....Sampleinajar hit the answer that works best for me. Look at the ODI lockon grips. They already have the open end....replacement throttle tube and no gluing for $19. I used for WR250F and YZ450F....no issues. Here is the link for CRF250X:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/229/709/2824/-/179570/

The other approach that I have had luck with is using a belt sander to sand off the end of the grip and the end of the throttle tube (esp with OEM Kawasaki grips where the rubber grip seems to be permanently mounted to the throttle tube.

Zeta Racing/DRC Hardware also makes open end grips and open end throttle tubes.

http://www.zeta-racing.com/handle_acc/throttle/index.html

http://www.drcproducts.com/control/d41-04/index.html

Wheeling cycle supply carries Zeta Racing and DRC Hardware, has quick turnaround and cheap shipping.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/index.shtml

CUt off as little of the end as possible, to keep the full length of the grips and tube. Whacking the grips against the bar with a hammer works fine on the nonthrottle side, but will allow the grips to drag on the bar on the throttle side. Personally I use an exacto knife and cut into the center and work my way out to the inside diameter of the tube. Then just move the whole assermbly farther inboard on the bar to get clearance for the barkbuster.

CUt off as little of the end as possible, to keep the full length of the grips and tube. Whacking the grips against the bar with a hammer works fine on the nonthrottle side, but will allow the grips to drag on the bar on the throttle side. Personally I use an exacto knife and cut into the center and work my way out to the inside diameter of the tube. Then just move the whole assermbly farther inboard on the bar to get clearance for the barkbuster.

I do the same with an X-acto knife. Most metal handguards are thinner than the bar diameter, so falls can jam dirt underneath the throttle tube. I put a fender washer that is slightly larger than the throttle tube OD between the barkbuster and the bar, then set the throttle tube end about 1/16" from the washer. The washer serves to block dirt when you stuff the bar into the ground. Handguards with plastic wraps are usually big enough at the end that you don't need a washer.

JayC

• Like 1

I do the same with an X-acto knife. Most metal handguards are thinner than the bar diameter, so falls can jam dirt underneath the throttle tube. I put a fender washer that is slightly larger than the throttle tube OD between the barkbuster and the bar, then set the throttle tube end about 1/16" from the washer. The washer serves to block dirt when you stuff the bar into the ground. Handguards with plastic wraps are usually big enough at the end that you don't need a washer.

JayC

Great idea with the washer!

I used a uni bit drill bit for mine. It's a cone shaped bit that steps up in size from 1/4-1 1/4. Works great for enlarging holes because it stays centered. Just drilled it out until it was the same size as the rest of the tube. Didn't lose any length.

I used a uni bit drill bit for mine. It's a cone shaped bit that steps up in size from 1/4-1 1/4. Works great for enlarging holes because it stays centered. Just drilled it out until it was the same size as the rest of the tube. Didn't lose any length.

Sounds good.

Nice idea with the uni bit! Have one sitting there and never thought to use it! (doh!)