Sign in to follow this  

piston/cylinder clearance specs

so i think im going to put my old wiseco piston in the replated cylinder and save my new pro-x kit for a new oem cylinder i will have soon.

i want to ride ! so i measured the clearnces today ( piston and cylinder where @ 70 degrees when mearuing )

so i took a bunch of measurments and got a clearence of .04,.05 and .06

can i run this piston in the bore ?

no one ?

The piston clearance stated in my 05 CR manual for OEM Cast is .050 to .065 so with .04 I would say no in my case.

Also due to the fact that Forged require more room than cast for expanding

Edited by gitenold

I guess my first question is: how are you measuring the cylinder and piston? With what tools, and are you measuring at the top/middle/bottom of the bore?

Second, is the OEM spec .050 to .065 in metric or imperial?

My 450 requies .0020" / .05mm so I would assume you are giving metric dimensions.

i used digital dial calipers on the skirt and bottom of the cylinder and made sure it was warm and level when i measured it,

if you con vert the .05mm to inches i think its was just at .002 and .06 was about .0026

• Like 1

i used digital dial calipers on the skirt and bottom of the cylinder and made sure it was warm and level when i measured it,

if you con vert the .05mm to inches i think its was just at .002 and .06 was about .0026

Calipers are ok for the piston, but not cylinder.

I also tried using calipers on my cylinder but it's not going to be accurate and you can't reach in far enough. You need to use a bore gauge for the cylinder.

I took mine to an engine shop and they did it no charge, took about 2 minutes.

i might do that

so i have heard that 25thou is what im after with a forged piston, but i had the cylinder matched to a stock bore piston i dont think it will be a problem i will get it checked before i run it

Quick check I use for piston to cylinder clearnce is to take a long feeler gauge of the minimum clearance measurment size and lay it in the cylinder and try to push the piston through too. With an assortment of feeler gauges you can get a pretty close approximate.

• Like 1