Sign in to follow this  

Fork spring rates

hello, setting up a suspension for a 145 lb rider without gear. The bike is an 08 crf250r. there is .47 or .48's in it now Would .45kg fork springs be too stiff for a c/b level mx rider? racetech recommendation for it was .435kg but someone has a set on here that they might get rid of.

if you revalve the bike the stock 0.45 are good for you with soft valving,much better then 0.43 with a little stiff valving.

the problem of 08 harshness are in the midvalve spring!!

remember you need a soft shock spring also and a soft shock.stock is stiff

stock on the 08 was .46.. I originally planned to put .44's in it for the guy per racetech recommendation. Didn't know if .45's would make them too stiff, I set my 08 up on .44's and i like it, i'm also 145 lbs w/o gear. He's a little faster than me, but has ridden my bike and didn't complain about them bottoming or anything..

as ale said unless you do something about the mid valve it won't matter what springs you fit

i removed the MV spring and let the stack take care of it and also lowered the oil cc a bit on my setup, works really good for me. This is a different setup for a friend of mine. I'm showing him how to service his own forks and showing him how to get to the stacks.

Seems a bit heavy to me but I am a woods racer. I weigh 185lbs and run between .40kg and .42kg depending on whether a big bore or small bore bike.