Sign in to follow this  

North American Spine / Dr. Mark or Anyone know how this surgery compares or have had it done

This would be for a bulged disc if pain and problems persist.

http://northamerican...cron=1328969912

One of the questions I can't seem to find an answer for, is, after they remove the offending portion of the disc, is the disc wall compromised that further injury is either easier to repeat, or is it more likely to fully rupture with the next injury if it does happen?

This is a process where they enter via the tailbone area, and using a videoscope and laser see in real time where the disc needs to be trimmed.

No cutting open of your back, or entry from the side allow work at only one level of damage.

Is it legit or smoke and mirrors?

PK

Edited by PMK

I made an edit for more information and with no replies hoped bringing it to the top may accomplish new replies.

PK

What is the preferred method of herniated disc issues?

Seems rest and let it heal first, Cortisone next.

Then as for surgery, are there many different methods and are some better than others.

PK

PMK-

What level are you having issues with?

I'm kinda in teh same boat, maybe. I have been dealing with severe sciatic pain in my right leg since the middle of December.

After five solid weeks of PT the pain is now manageable with no pain medications.

I have a bulged disc at L5/S1. Had an issue with L2 a few years back and the Dr. who read the recent MRI said that the disc doesn't look any worse than it did three years ago. Given my symptoms they deduce that it is the bulge at L5/S1 causing all my pain.

Met with a Neurosurgeon a few weeks ago. He was a real downer. Said I have the back of a 60-70 year old, I'm 37 now! Sever disc Degeneration in the lower lumbar area. Great. Said it wouldn't be worth operating on it now becuse in the next few years there's going to be more stuff happening to my back so I might as well wait intil there's three 'compartments' failing before he goes in. Grrrr....NOT what I wanted to hear.

Luckily my PT guys is great and not a doom and gloomer.

I've been working a ton on strengthening my core. I won't lie, I don't get to all the excersizes every night, more like every third day, but it seems to really be helping. I am hoping to get back on the bicycles in a few more weeks, and moto's soon after that.

I have the same question regarding the strength of the idsc after a microdiscectomy has been performed. Does the disc now have a weaker 'wall' containing it and therefor is more of a weak spot compared to prior to surgery?

I'm meeting with another Neuro Dr. next week and will make sure I get a clear answer on that one. I'll report back unless someone else pipes in beforehand.

Best of luck!

Stole this from a website:

"""""""

What are the limitations of the procedure?

Surgery is intended only to remove pressure from a pinched nerve. When a disc ruptures, a hole is created in the outer ring. During surgery, your surgeon may open this hole to remove any loose material; however, it is not possible to repair the hole. Even though surgery is effective in alleviating buttock and leg pain, you are left with a disc that will have a permanent weakness in the ring. Care has to be taken to prevent undue stress to the disc indefinitely, for fear of re-herniation."""

It's a good read. The whole page can be seen here: http://orthopedicsinternational.com/conditions-and-treatments/spine-neck-back-arm-and-leg/surgical-procedures/microlaminotomy-and-microdiscectomy/

So, ummm Doctor, does motocrossing count as "undue stress"? I'm afraid of the answer....

As the OP of this topic, our house did further research on North American Spine and their method to repair discs. While there are some success stories on the website, the number of lawsuits against them and many indications the ones doing the work are not Doctors, scared me away.

Do more homework before you decide based on reading just this topic.

For me, in the present sate, undo stress is dependent upon the day, but most times lifting nothing more than a pair of shoes.

PK

I have the same issue as you. The bulge appears to be roughly the same as a few years ago. The pain has gotten a little worse. Being miserable and living a crappy life in lots of pain has gotten old. I am going through with a fusion as soon as I get some stuff ironed out. I believe a one level fusion is not going to be fun but something I can recover from. It is all around a bad deal though. I have done years of internet surfing and looking at alternatives. My current neurosugeon and Dr. Mark have convinced me that the proven way to go is a fusion. Not what I wanted to hear. Years of PT, Inversion tables, decompression, core work, accupuncture, narcotics, nsaids, and more with no relief. I have to make a move.