Sign in to follow this  

WR125 Test. Dirt Bike Magazine

Just read the article on the new Husky WR125 in Dirt Bike magazine. Does anybody on here own one of these? Seamed that they absolutley loved the bike for the trails. Their only complaint was that it wasn't a real hill climber (but show me a 125cc 2T that is) and that the kick stand flopped open and closed (remove it, easy enough remedy).

Anyway, the article got me thinking that I have not owned a 125cc bike in years and years. And at the ripe old age of 40, thought it would be nice to have one again just for grins. I love my 450 and 610 4T's as well as my 500cc 2T but man they can really where a older guy out on a full days ride anymore. Thought having this bike would be a kick in the pants just as a back up trail hopper. And the fact that it also comes with the 144cc hop up kit truly is a cool selling point as well. The magazine said something to the affect that it was "like riding on the wind" because the bike is so light and maneuverable through the tight stuff. Of course, I would have to drop a few extra pounds before I threw my leg over one but I could only imagine that I would be ginning from ear to ear! :smirk:

Haven't ridden a 2012 model yet but I had a 2011 WR 150 for a couple days. I'm 220lb and that bike flat out ripped. It was kinda a turd down low and I would give the nod to my 06 YZ 125 but as soon as it came on the pipe it pulled like my YZ 250. I was stunned on how strong the motor felt. Chassis felt good but the suspension was way to soft for me. Having a 125 is the stable is a must in my eyes. If you want to step up your game when it comes to clutch/throttle control and using momentum to get through hairy situations, there is no better bike available!

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf

The little Husky can pull from idle to a screaming top end with a few simple adjustments and really benifit from a carb swap to a PWK

I have two in my workshop and both will climb any hill thrown at them and I actually did the last enduro event I entered on one in some horrid sticky filth and the greasy hills that downed many riders and bikes were nothing to the little WR it was so good in fact it could weave in and out of fallen bikes and still make the top without even putting a boot down! I am seriously impressed with these little marvels and I am a 225lb 53 year old that owns TMs ect that dont get to turn a wheel since I have had the pleasure of owning these WRs

See if you can spot it as it appears twice both times pulling my fat ass with ease

I have a 2012 Wr125. The test was lame. The two problems with the motor are easily solved. First the power valve is factory adjusted to come open way too early. Secondly the jet needle is way too lean. Adusting the power valve properly and swapping out the jet needle eliminates the midrange lean bog and makes it rip! I also installed the supplied 144 kit and had my carb modified by RB Designs. I rode an enduro last weekend and even on the steepest hills I could ride up in third gear at half throttle. I thought when I bought this bike that I would alternate riding it and my YZ250 depending on the event. My YZ has not been ridden since.

Be sure to run 13/52 gearing. Damn thing will pull any hill in 2nd or 3rd with proper jetting and PV adjustment. I am running a Keihin Air Striker 36mm on my WR150. (from a KTM 150). Leanest pilot 35mm, next richer slide (6.0), 175 main. Needle in the #3 position. Love this bike !

Edited by Dwight_Rudder

Haven't ridden a 2012 model yet but I had a 2011 WR 150 for a couple days. I'm 220lb and that bike flat out ripped. It was kinda a turd down low and I would give the nod to my 06 YZ 125 but as soon as it came on the pipe it pulled like my YZ 250. I was stunned on how strong the motor felt. Chassis felt good but the suspension was way to soft for me. Having a 125 is the stable is a must in my eyes. If you want to step up your game when it comes to clutch/throttle control and using momentum to get through hairy situations, there is no better bike available!

I weigh about 190lbs and had to go from stock .42kg fork springs DOWN to .40kg to get right rider and static sag. I had to go UP from the stock 5.0kg shock spring to a 6.0Kg spring to get the correct static and rider sag. Now the bike is plush, turns great and handles anything I throw at it.

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning that again. I will order those springs tomorrow. It handles OK with the stock springs but it could be a lot better. I love this bike!

I wonder if the Husky the were testing had the double spring on the bike. My WR150 has an inner spring. Mine doesn't flop at all. DAMN, I LOVE THE HUSQVARNA TIDDLER !

I might be biased some. I rode a WR/XC125 in 1982. Fun bike but no powerhouse. I struggled with it at the ISDE in Czecho in 1982. Too many slick hills. BUT , it did drag me to the end of the event. 8 Americans finished out of 35. I had a blown knee (ACL) from Day 3 on to the end. I was awarded a Bronze Medal. The current models are SO much better in power and torque.

Edited by Dwight_Rudder

I weigh about 190lbs and had to go from stock .42kg fork springs DOWN to .40kg to get right rider and static sag. I had to go UP from the stock 5.0kg shock spring to a 6.0Kg spring to get the correct static and rider sag. Now the bike is plush, turns great and handles anything I throw at it.

Just seems that a spring combination like that would be very stinkbuggy. Must be a very unusual linkage ratio on the rear.

Just seems that a spring combination like that would be very stinkbuggy. Must be a very unusual linkage ratio on the rear.

Not stinkbuggy at all. The sags are correct. Infact the stock springs are stinkbuggy. Front wouldn't settle into corners and the rear had only 5mm static sag. Now I have the correct 75mm rider sag up front with 40mm static and the rear has the correct 30-33mm static and 103mm rider sag. Much easier to throw a leg over also.

Dwight,

I have an 08 CR 125 and I weight 165 lbs. Will your sag set up's apply to my bike as well?

I'm working with C Hayes on the suspension and want to have the bike work as good as I can get it for H/S and Enduros.

I'm 5'-7" and can use all of the "lowered seat height" that I can get without actually lowering it.

I don't mind replacing springs if needed.

Dwight,

I have an 08 CR 125 and I weight 165 lbs. Will your sag set up's apply to my bike as well?

I'm working with C Hayes on the suspension and want to have the bike work as good as I can get it for H/S and Enduros.

I'm 5'-7" and can use all of the "lowered seat height" that I can get without actually lowering it.

I don't mind replacing springs if needed.

Of course. Those sag numbers are for any bike with 11.8" (300mm) fork travel and 11.6" (295mm) rear wheel travel. Craig and I are great friends and we talked about my problems with getting the rear correct. I continued with my search for that right spring when he said that my having 10mm preload on the spring showed I had too light a spring. You can have Craig call me if need be but Craig is good with Suspension.

Thanks for the reply. He has always been great at setting up suspension, I just wanted your opinion as well since you are very specific about your suspension.

I can't wait to ride it!

Of course. Those sag numbers are for any bike with 11.8" (300mm) fork travel and 11.6" (295mm) rear wheel travel. Craig and I are great friends and we talked about my problems with getting the rear correct. I continued with my search for that right spring when he said that my having 10mm preload on the spring showed I had too light a spring. You can have Craig call me if need be but Craig is good with Suspension.

How can I get in touch with Craig? thanks.

I might be biased some. I rode a WR/XC125 in 1982. Fun bike but no powerhouse. I struggled with it at the ISDE in Czecho in 1982. Too many slick hills. BUT , it did drag me to the end of the event. 8 Americans finished out of 35. I had a blown knee (ACL) from Day 3 on to the end. I was awarded a Bronze Medal. The current models are SO much better in power and torque.

you got a bronze metal on a 82 husky 125! I my hat is off to you,I dont think husky sold too many 82 125s, they must be a far cry from the latest

you got a bronze metal on a 82 husky 125! I my hat is off to you,I dont think husky sold too many 82 125s, they must be a far cry from the latest

Actually the bike I rode was a 1983 model with the white gas tank and yellow seat. BUT the event was in Sept. 1982. I rode the Qualifiers that year on a 1982 XC125 with a WR swingarm and a 6th gear out of a 1974 SC125. The 6th gear was DB's recommendation after I seized the bike on a dirt road. Stock gears were CR type. Geared for the woods the bike with stock gears would only do 53mph. With the SC125 6th gear the bike would top out at 65mph. Believe it or not , when riding the Michigan ISDE Qualifier I got a ticket with the stock gearbox, for doing 70mph by a cop that said I was doing 70 because he had to do 70 to catch me. Figure that one out.

Actually the bike I rode was a 1983 model with the white gas tank and yellow seat. BUT the event was in Sept. 1982. I rode the Qualifiers that year on a 1982 XC125 with a WR swingarm and a 6th gear out of a 1974 SC125. The 6th gear was DB's recommendation after I seized the bike on a dirt road. Stock gears were CR type. Geared for the woods the bike with stock gears would only do 53mph. With the SC125 6th gear the bike would top out at 65mph. Believe it or not , when riding the Michigan ISDE Qualifier I got a ticket with the stock gearbox, for doing 70mph by a cop that said I was doing 70 because he had to do 70 to catch me. Figure that one out.

I had an 83 430wr,must be the same chassis as the 125 with less suspension travel (I wished it was the XC) nicknamed the milk truck because of the white steel tank & white frame, That air cooled tractor was the ultimate survivor bike & was a virtual submarine lol. but I never saw a 70s or 80s 125 husky they are rare bikes... was there any low end? if not you must be good with the clutch keeping it on the pipe goin thru the trees yoiks