Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a 2001 cr250r

I'm thinking you did pretty good. The only 01 that I can find locally is in similar looking condition and he's asking 2000. Don't know about the fork bleeder, someone will though. Nice bike, congrats.

Post some more pics!

Edited by poldies4

Why is every time someone buys the best production model year cr250 that Honda ever made, they have no idea about it or motorcycles in general???? :bonk:

:smirk: JK man but if that bike runs and goes through the gears, then you got a steal. Not only by regular cr250 standards, but you sir, have bought the best motor that Honda ever produced. Don't be confused, it's not the "fastest" or anything but it is simply just the best most well engineered, which translates into amazing reliability. You could get serious $$$ for that bike from a seasoned Honda 2 stroke guy, no joke.

First things first get the service manual first before ANYTHING. Today is your lucky day also. I downloaded the 00-01 cr250 OEM service manual for my buddy and his 2000 cr250, so I actually have it on my computer. It's too large to email but if anyone knows of a way I can send him this manual, by all means I'll get it to you. It'll save you $50 and it contains every last inkling of information you need to know. Very very important bud. I may be able to track down the website where you can just download it. Be right back! You got a steal, and you're about to get a free manual too! :lol:

Also, dude the "weird" front forks you're talking about is simply part of maintenance. You see when you ride this bike the front forks build up pressure (air) inside them that you need to "bleed" out after every ride to keep the suspension working perfect. Well, typically the stock fork setup has a flat head screw that you release on the top of each fork until you hear the hissssss of it letting all the air out. Smells like a weird fart too. Then you screw them back tight and go ride, until they build up air pressure again, but what you have (I have the same thing) is fork bleeders where he took out the flat head screws and installed little towers that have buttons on top, so that you can instantly just hit the button and it will bleed all the air in the forks. Go ahead down to your bike right now and press the buttons on each little fork bleeder tower. I bet it will release some air, if not then he's done it and it hasn't been ridden, but I bet it will release something. They're not that special about $20 upgrade, but they are awesome. Now, let me check on that manual.

Oh wow someone is on a serious luck streak...

Welp you say you have the "clymers" manual, but this is the REAL one, the OEM one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?eebu1e9mowj

I can tell you're new to this and all and if you need anything explained to you as far as jetting, or just the bike in general, don't hesitate to send me a private message or just ask! You got one hell of a steal. Take care of her, that bike is legend.

if you do a quick google search youll find that pretty much the consensus is the 2001 cr250 was the best cr250 engine ever made. I know as I have one too. dont ever sell it since Honda no longer makes two strokes and is very against 2 strokes now...only ensure that bike will be a collectors item.

• Like 1

Congrats bro, I know what it's like. I just bought my 97 about 6 weeks ago. Maybe we can ride sometime. You riding woods or tracks?

That bike looks clean.

Lol thanks blackcr you were a lot of help, yea mxhalo I ride both more woods though. I had a atv accident at a track and still haven't got the nerve to try to ride there again at hwy65mx.

nice bike.

some will disagree with the "hype" of this magical year of CRs but to be honest.

01 has:

2nd gen frames. far better than the previous year.

better porting.

reinforced combustion chamber parts for a rigid case. less stress.

last of the cylinder integrated reed valve systems.

latest (for that year) electronics.

meaner broader power band

better parts availability than older CRs.

i have 2 of these magical year CRs and boy do i love them both. i was thinking of making the 2nd 01 to be a parts donator for my 1st 01 but since iv rebuilt it and was in really good shape, now im trying to make it one of my number one bikes.

i also have 03 250 sx. was and is the first most powerful 250 ever made. sure not the latest frame and suspension but who rides seriously with out revalving.

i wish the garage site would open soon so all can see some pics of my bikes.

mmm no thanks on the cheezy graphics. I've never worked on a 2 stroke so I'm sure thats going to a great and hard experience.

HOT TIP!!!!!!!

looking to freshen those old CRs? check this site out and tell me how you think. http://www.moto-stylemx.com/eshop/store/detail/596/52/honda/cr-125/250/cr-125/250-'00-'01

I don't get it. There is NOTHING under the 97-99 cr250 graphics.

OP, you're lucky. Graphics for the 2000 and up bikes are wayyy more common than ones for my 98 or 97-99 era years.

Kecil, you want graphics? Just lemme know what you're looking for and I can tell ya. There are plenty of good sites.

Also man, did you download the OEM service manual I posted for you?

There are a few things you should go over on the bike to make sure you are "cherry". (powervalve, reeds, carb clean, jets) all of it's real simple stuff.

Edited by BlackCR25098

I don't get it. There is NOTHING under the 97-99 cr250 graphics.

what do you mean? that site has 00-01 and 97-99 25 grafix? just scan thru the pages.

The original's are expensive as hell aren't they? Are they supposed to be better? I guess they distribute the power more evenly, where an FMF gives more low end.

I'll sell you the pipe list a price. Well I did download the manual and I took it out today, first thing I noticed it was hard as hell to get into first gear. I didn't know what the hell was up with that I has to recycle through 1st and 2nd about ten times before I could get it to roll. Also my jump starter bar was loose as hell, I'll see if I can tighten it. It was really muddy trails so I never left first and if I ever stalled out oh god it was hell to start again. It could have been from the loose jump starter bar, but I nothing about the bike. I wish I could have someone go through and it right if there is something wrong.

My buddy I was with knows nothing about bikes either he had a 2011 yz450f and his fuel injection making everything look easy.

The original's are expensive as hell aren't they? Are they supposed to be better? I guess they distribute the power more evenly, where an FMF gives more low end.

ive ran a fatty, sst, and now a stock pipe on my 2000. the stock pipe is nice, but IMO, the fatty is a great replacement if you dont feel like spending the cash on an OEM pipe. performance is pretty much identical in my application, maybe a slight nod to the stock pipe. If i couldnt find a stock pipe for the same price as a new fatty, id buy the fatty...

Edited by mynewcr250

Oh ok well I looked up the OEM pipe on motosport's microfiche one time and it was like $400, compared to all the aftermarket pipes are right @ $200...So literally twice the price! I am a pro circuit platinum man myself :smirk: