Sign in to follow this  

thrown chain strips gears?

the guy i bought my project/parts bike from just told me that 1st and second gear went out when he threw the chain and it jammed up in front of the counter sprocket and came to a skiding hault. how would this of made first and second go out? the shifter fork looks straight as it can be. any ideas? i still have not split the case.

yet another reason to take care of your chain!

Perhaps the sudden locking up caused a gear to break internally? But how would the PO know this? Has he been inside to check? I've seen several owners think the gear box was broken .... when all that was the matter was the shift lever was bent! :bonk:

Obviously, if you currently have no 1st or 2nd gear ... you will have to go inside to know what exactly is broken and what needs replacing. It's a big job and not for the inexperienced or faint of heart. The gears are about $50 each to replace ... plus some additional damage may have been done ... so a crap shoot.

On the DR650 it's usually 3rd gear that can fail. But of course this is quite rare overall and seems mostly to affect bikes imported to Australia.

Good luck on this .... What is your plan going forward? :smirk:

Edited by 54321

Perhaps the sudden locking up caused a gear to break internally? But how would the PO know this? Has he been inside to check? I've seen several owners think the gear box was broken .... when all that was the matter was the shift lever was bent! :bonk:

Obviously, if you currently have no 1st or 2nd gear ... you will have to go inside to know what exactly is broken and what needs replacing. It's a big job and not for the inexperienced or faint of heart. The gears are about $50 each to replace ... plus some additional damage may have been done ... so a crap shoot.

On the DR650 it's usually 3rd gear that can fail. But of course this is quite rare overall and seems mostly to affect bikes imported to Australia.

Good luck on this .... What is your plan going forward? :smirk:

i was going to open it up and see, but then i am going to have to buy all new gaskets and the gears or whatever i need so it would be pricey. since the frame is cracked i am leaning towards waiting for a bike with a blown top end on CL which i have seen before and make 1 good bike out of 2... or maybe just keeping the parts i want off it and parting the rest out