Sign in to follow this  

2012 kx250f vs 2012 yz250f?

I just turned 14, I'm 5'3, and I'm 95 pounds (sad). I have outgrown the power on my 2009 crf150rb and am looking for a new bike. When I sat on my brother's '10 yz250f it seemed like I could fit on it if I shaved the seat 2". The only problem is that the yz250f, at least my brother's, is a pain in the a$$ to start! I doubt that the new carburetor fixed this problem, so I decided I decided to look at the 2012 kx250f. It's got the best power band, which is apparently due to the fact that it's got duel injection, and from what I've read it seems like it's easy to start. It sounds like it's not as reliable as honda/yamaha though and they seem to have skimped on small things like the clutch (which apparently lasts for like 2 rides). I also heard that the Kawasaki looks hammered after very little riding time. The gearbox last year was improved over the '10 but it still had issues, and this year they apparently fixed the problem, but they kind-of said the same thing last year... all this got me worried about Kawasaki's reliability. Also I've read that the Kawasaki wobbles on straight aways like a honda, where as the Yamaha has the most predictable handling of the bikes. My dad's history with Yamaha definitely backs this point up. So I was wondering if any of you have either of these bike or have ridden either one. What do you think?

Edited by YZRider98

Are the brakes on Kawasakis crap? Does the kx250f wallow/wobble on straight aways? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by YZRider98

If starting is your issue, get a electric start KTM. I personally like Yamahas but the new Kawi flat out fly! Stock for stock, the Yamaha trumps the Kawi in handeling and suspension but seeing as your so light, your going to need new springs and possibly suspension work on either one so it's kinda a wash. The EFI has its advantages over the carb but does add weight to the bike. As for engine, the Kawi wins but the Yamaha is close, you would probably never notice the difference!

Thanks, yeah but I don't buy k.t.m.s after my '08 85cc blew up twice (yeah I was maintaining it right). Also an electric start adds to much weight. I'm just worried because my brothers Yami is impossible to start if you screw up the first time you kick it. (Takes 25-50 kicks) I guess your probably right that I won't notice the difference now, but I'm going to keep this bike for a while... Thanks for the help btw.

The 2012 kx would be good, you are about the same height and weight as me, and i can start one. have you maybe thought of a 125?? until you are bigger and bit leg stronger to start a 250F.?