Sign in to follow this  

Does Kawasaki Have Reliability Issues?

I heard that Kawasaki had clutch/gearbox issues. I also heard that Kawasakis break down easier than Yamahas/Hondas. So I was wondering if any of you have had issues with them? I was just wondering because I'm trying to figure out which 250f to get.

Edited by YZRider98

http://motocrossacti...-JUST-8537.aspx

(1) Clutch. The RM-Z250 clutch is softer than the “Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.” Test riders loved the clutch feel at the blade, but in short order they had to constantly spin the on-the-fly adjuster to remove the slack. Just like in years past, we had to stay on top of transmission oil changes, religiously check cable freeplay and use stiffer aftermarket clutch springs. (We opted for Pro Circuit’s spring kit, www.procircuit.com). If you’re in the market to go big, buy a complete clutch. (We like the Hinson kit, www.hinsonracing.com.)

(2) Engine upkeep. As elated as we were about the 2011 Suzuki RM-Z250 engine, we were equally disappointed with how quickly the powerplant went south after only 20 hours of ride time. The 2011 engine began to slow down and lose power to the point where the bike didn’t feel remotely similar to the bike we started with. Make sure to change the 2012 top end at regular intervals, and check the valves as if your wallet depended on it.

the rmz has its problems as well, in the 2012 yz250f test they said one thing they liked is durability

Edited by Tony477g

I'm looking at the '12 kx250f. They say they fixed the gearbox this year, but they also kind of said that last year. That's why I posted, to see if anyone has been having problems with the '12. I've never had a kawasaki, but it sounds like they make the best 250f. I also heard the kawasakis wobble on straight aways...

Edited by YZRider98

No more or no less than any other Japanese brand. The life expectancy and reliability of the bike has much more to do with how its ridden and how well its maintained rather than what brand it is.

Yeah I'm pretty carful with my bikes. I don't agree that all Japanese brands are equally reliable. Suzuki is an example, there so unreliable, but yamaha is the opposite, there bullet proof.