Sign in to follow this  

1987 XR600

Don't over pay.

Two big mods would be an 88-90 rear 18 inch wheel so you can actually buy decent tires and set of 91+ cartridge forks as that bike had damper rods. They work, but hit at speed can be painful on the wrists. My old XR500 bit me that way on several occasions. Better yet a fork transplant from some more modern USD bike.

Don't over pay.

Two big mods would be an 88-90 rear 18 inch wheel so you can actually buy decent tires and set of 91+ cartridge forks as that bike had damper rods. They work, but hit at speed can be painful on the wrists. My old XR500 bit me that way on several occasions. Better yet a fork transplant from some more modern USD bike.

Its only 500 bucks. Super clean, has a high output stator(details to be explained later). Is the 87 rear not an 18"?

Many thoughts and ideas already running through my head... USD's, rear disc conversion, etc...

Looking at a TUSK DS conversion kit at this point. Possibly more. Just love these bikes man.

I thought '87s were the first year of 18" rear wheels, but I'm not sure. I do know it's the last year of twin carbs and sort of a transition between the first and second generations.

You're not getting tired of fixing that Kawasaki, are you? :smirk::bonk:

I thought '87s were the first year of 18" rear wheels, but I'm not sure. I do know it's the last year of twin carbs and sort of a transition between the first and second generations.

You're not getting tired of fixing that Kawasaki, are you? :smirk::bonk:

OH hell no!!! As a matter of fact I have a list of parts made up for a DS conversion for my KX500. Just having a hard time deciding if I want to drop 1300 to do it right. The external stator I'd need is 500 alone. Im still considering it.

The XR was just a chance at a good, solid bike for 500 bucks, but the prick sold it late night. As I found out today.

OH hell no!!! As a matter of fact I have a list of parts made up for a DS conversion for my KX500. Just having a hard time deciding if I want to drop 1300 to do it right. The external stator I'd need is 500 alone. Im still considering it.

The XR was just a chance at a good, solid bike for 500 bucks, but the prick sold it late night. As I found out today.

Screw the external stator, besides you don't absolutely need it. Use LED lighting for the tail light and turn signals. Those will only use about 3 or 4 watts. Then use one of these for a headlight. http://bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail/630006_Double-Stryk-Vehicle-Kit

This type of setup will only run about 25 watts and will run off of the 35 watt stator coil that is available for the KX. Now that headlight would not be DOT, but it would work. At 1800 lumens it's about as bright as a two headlight car.

17 inch rear will definitely limit tire choices. The dual carbs can be tricky, but when they're set-up properly they work pretty well. I was on on 87 XR6 before I bought my '07 650L. I gave-up alot for a plate and a happy button.

Screw the external stator, besides you don't absolutely need it. Use LED lighting for the tail light and turn signals. Those will only use about 3 or 4 watts. Then use one of these for a headlight. http://bajadesigns.c...ryk-Vehicle-Kit

This type of setup will only run about 25 watts and will run off of the 35 watt stator coil that is available for the KX. Now that headlight would not be DOT, but it would work. At 1800 lumens it's about as bright as a two headlight car.

Ah cool. That's a sweet lamp. I think my KX5 may be getting a plate...

All you need to do now Norge is track down Kenzo and Ye Olde Pig Council will be back on the front page. :)