Sign in to follow this  

Warning! Washington state canceled registration on my DRZ400S

their letter claims that my VIN belongs to a non-street legal vehicle. it is an S and was street legal from day one!

this is a warning because im veryvery angry and may do something irrational if I have to go buy a stock back fender, stock pipe, and whatever else to pass their inspection. if my LED blinkers are even legal?

on a side note, upon inspection of my Title, the scale weight is "01850". no wonder it feels so heavy! it weighs nearly a ton!

WA DOL has outlandish weight for most motorcycles. Makes no difference, it is stil in the min weight class for tax.

First I have heard of DOL sening out any new notices about plates. I thought they quit that last year when SB8500 passed.

First thing I would do is verify the VIN on your title matches the VIN on your motorcycle. Then run the VIN thru a VIN identifier and see if it comes up as an E or S model. Might be a mistake in the VIN. Also look at the ID plate on the steering head. That will state if the motorcycle was sold in complyance with Fed standards.

WA DOL has outlandish weight for most motorcycles. Makes no difference, it is stil in the min weight class for tax.

First I have heard of DOL sening out any new notices about plates. I thought they quit that last year when SB8500 passed.

First thing I would do is verify the VIN on your title matches the VIN on your motorcycle. Then run the VIN thru a VIN identifier and see if it comes up as an E or S model. Might be a mistake in the VIN. Also look at the ID plate on the steering head. That will state if the motorcycle was sold in complyance with Fed standards.

I thought Washington was pretty lax with there motorcycle laws? Interesting enough though, I have been in a few debates on TT with some fellow Canucks who actually believe their off-road motorcycles are legal for the street. Though they went through the inspection process and passed, they are still illegally on the street. I keep telling them to wait until they get into an accident, the insurance company will turn their backs so dam quick!

Sorry to hear about the hassles the OP is going through!

Many conflicts in WA RCW's (laws) Motorcycle equipment requirements are lax but fed standards over ride. After sale the lax state standards apply (in theory) New this year is a prodedure to convert and license dirt bikes for the road. There are a few bugs however. Conversion is more stringent than the existing RCWs. Then tripple taxation-- road licence, off road license and the govs wonderfull discovery pass. Have to wait and see how it goes.

There is another thread in the WA forum here that has the same issue with WA DOL.. He was not a, allowed to register the bike, a DRZ S, that had been registered previously.

This is a WA DOL problem that is systemic right now. Something must be screwy with the third party data base they are using.

well I suppose I'm in the market for a stock exhaust and stock rear fender so I can pass the states inspection. its going to run like crap jetted for an MRD and running the stock pipe! haha

If you need stock exhaust for inspection PM me, I have my old stocker sitting around in the garage. This is total BS and I will go berzerker if they pull the plate on my SM!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17905312&postcount=148

^^^^check that out! that has the list (according to him from the DMV) what bikes are considered legal. in 2000 a 400S or 400E were legal, in 01-03 not a single suzuki was legal (except that the klx400SR is legal in 2003) such a screwed up list. no wonder there are so many people getting letters who don't need them... im thinking things will be fixed and I won't have to inspect.

their letter claims that my VIN belongs to a non-street legal vehicle. it is an S and was street legal from day one!

this is a warning because im veryvery angry and may do something irrational if I have to go buy a stock back fender, stock pipe, and whatever else to pass their inspection. if my LED blinkers are even legal?

on a side note, upon inspection of my Title, the scale weight is "01850". no wonder it feels so heavy! it weighs nearly a ton!

Thats weird :bonk: I got my reg for my SM and didn't say a thing. I would go to the DOL and see what's up. BTW.. I have a stock pipe if you need to use it for inspection :smirk: and you shouldn't have to change your rear fender but if you do I have one you can use also :lol:

Edited by Debi

it appears according to the list only people in washington with 2001,2002, and 2003 DRZ400S bikes are going to get these letters. I'm glad im in the unlucky club for the month >.<

If it's because of the VIN, it won't matter what pipe or fender etc. you put on it. I think the early S models are flagged because of the different carb. My 03 years ago could not get a green sticker in CA because of the VIN that pointed to the different carb.

If it's because of the VIN, it won't matter what pipe or fender etc. you put on it. I think the early S models are flagged because of the different carb. My 03 years ago could not get a green sticker in CA because of the VIN that pointed to the different carb.

The S on the showroom floor today has the same Mikuni carb as the S that was delivered in 2000. Mikuni BSR36. the exception being in CA ONLY.... all other states got the exact same carb for this bike..

This is nothing more then a screw up in a data base, that WA is using.. the issue is going to be.. getting them to admit it's wrong and changing it.. in WA, the DOL is going to stand the ground that they can do nothing... sorry the computer says it's not a street bike. They get paid the same if they give you tags or not, and giving out tags to a bike not eligible, will cost them a job or worse.

IMHO, this will take threat of legal action against the state, and of a senator or congressmen willing to listen, and take up the fight.

What this needs is a biker that is a lawyer willing to take the action needed.. Name the local DOL supervisor, the state, the Governor and anyone else connected in a law suite.. Offer to drop the suite and go on record publicly that state employee AG, governor ect ect XYZ is a great blah blah blah, if the state will immediately correct their mistake. If not, Turn it in to a media fest with the intent to smear local public and state officials

The S on the showroom floor today has the same Mikuni carb as the S that was delivered in 2000. Mikuni BSR36. the exception being in CA ONLY.... all other states got the exact same carb for this bike..

This is nothing more then a screw up in a data base, that WA is using.. the issue is going to be.. getting them to admit it's wrong and changing it.. in WA, the DOL is going to stand the ground that they can do nothing... sorry the computer says it's not a street bike. They get paid the same if they give you tags or not, and giving out tags to a bike not eligible, will cost them a job or worse.

IMHO, this will take threat of legal action against the state, and of a senator or congressmen willing to listen, and take up the fight.

Makes sense, mine was a CA bike.

What this needs is a biker that is a lawyer willing to take the action needed.. Name the local DOL supervisor, the state, the Governor and anyone else connected in a law suite.. Offer to drop the suite and go on record publicly that state employee AG, governor ect ect XYZ is a great blah blah blah, if the state will immediately correct their mistake. If not, Turn it in to a media fest with the intent to smear local public and state officials

mine is a 2003 California model... somehow it made its way up to washington.

and the thing about the exhaust and all that is the way to correct it and get my street legalization back (according to the letter) is to pay $100 for an inspection and then get it relicensed. but my bike is slightly outside legality with the rear fender drop down section eliminated, and the modified exhaust. I won't pass inspection at this point.

Dave hold off, don't go through that process! they are wrong and it will probably clear up. You don't want a 'converted' title that may at some day in the future get yanked. Keep your bike titled street like it should be.

Dave,

Go to one of the Licensing offices (I always use the local county court house) and nicely talk to the people there, They can not do anything but they have direct lines to Olympia. Explain the problem and have them call and get the review in process. DOL Oly has "experts" that can research the screw up. Take a picture of your frame tag with the VIN no and the statement it is all legal. You will not be the only one doing this, It might get their attention.

You recently received a letter from the Department of Licensing informing you that the registration for an off-road motorcycle you own was being cancelled. That cancellation is being reversed.

Effective immediately, registration for your motorcycle is being fully restored and you will be able to renew your registration normally. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you

After being alerted by motorcycle owners about errors in the system, we looked carefully at all potential sources of data available to determine whether a motorcycle should be registered as off-road or street legal. We found there is no way for us to reliably determine the manufacturer’s intended use for all of our state’s motorcycles

Because of this data issue, DOL will allow motorcycles currently classified as street legal to remain street legal without being inspected under the process recently adopted by our state. The owners of off-road motorcycles that are not currently registered as street legal will still be required to complete the inspection process under RCW 46.16A.435 if they wish to convert their motorcycle for street use.

What this means:

• You can now register your motorcycle normally.
  • You are not required to have your motorcycle inspected to keep licensing it as street legal
  • DOL will not change your motorcycle’s street-legal status in the future.

If you own an off-road motorcycle that has been modified for street use and licensed, you do not need to have this motorcycle inspected. However, it is your responsibility to make sure your motorcycle has all of the safety equipment required under state law and that it is in proper working order whenever your motorcycle is operated on public roads. If you don’t have all of this required equipment installed, you may be stopped and cited by law enforcement officers

If you have further questions about licensing your motorcycle, contact our Customer Service Center at 360-902-3770

Thank you

YES! success. just wanted to let everyone know the state cleared this up.

• Like 1