Fork Bleeder ?

So getting the bike prepped tonight for the weekend's ride, I noticed that when I pressed the button on my Motion Pro bleeders, only the left side seemed to expel air . . . so I took the bike off the stand and compressed the front forks a bunch and did a little terrorizing of the neighborhood and came back and put the bike back up on the stand and same thing only air coming out of the left bleeder. I took the bleeder off and it seems to be working. Any ideas?

Hmmm... I'd say it's time for a new bike. Or maybe a fork seal... Either one should work!

I've never messed with my forks but always heard about the forks leaking if the seal is bad, I haven't seen any fluid.

Swap the bleeders left to right and see if the problem follows the swap. If it does, it is the bleeder. If not, the problem is in the fork.

The side that's working is hard to get to, maybe I'll just throw the stock screw back on that side. I really don't think it's the bleeder as I took it off and did the lip/blow test and it seemed to be working. I don't recall this happening before, so it must be fairly recent as I just got the bleeders not too long ago. If it's not the bleeder is it probably just a bad seal? Are there other seals that don't leak fluid that you can't see upon inspection? Clueless about my suspension...really need to learn how this stuff works. Is it okay to ride or should I dust off the 4T?

UPDATE: So I went down stairs to put the stock screw on the left side instead of the bleeder. Without being up on the stand, as soon as I pressed the button to remove the bleeder, air was came out, I did the other side that had been working and got about the same amount of air out. So I pushed down on the forks a good 20x and then put it back on the stand and both bleeders had the same amount of air come out when I did that. Not sure if it was a false alarm or just needed to be reset or something, like if the button got pushed during the ride home last weekend while it was compressed or something like that.

It's probably more than due for new fluid and while I haven't found any fluid leaks, I'm sure some fresh seals wouldn't hurt. How difficult is it to service the forks?

Edited by schmo

It did the same thing after the ride today, put it up on the stand when I got home and a good amount of air out of the right side and nothing out of the left. Guess I should go ahead and replace the fluid and seals and see if that does the trick. Do you guys do it yourself or is it a pain in the ass or complex and is better left to the pros?

If the seal isn't leaking, there is nothing to worry about. My fork bleeders do not always have pressure to release, and sometimes only one.

Just seems odd that it's the same one. I wonder what it could be. How long is the fork fluid good for?

The seals 'burp' like a rubbermaid container top from time to time.

Fork oil 'should' be changed every year / 150 hours, or less.

Cool Thanks Krannie. Sounds like I need to change the oil then as it's been 3 years at least, although probably not that many hours. I figured that the seals would have gone bad and started leaking after the first couple of rides after it sat for so long, but so far I haven't seen them leak at all. How hard is it to change the fluid/seals?

Edited by schmo