Sign in to follow this  

2012 ktm 150xc or 200xc-w

confused on which bike to get. i am about 5'10" and 165pounds, intermediate desert racer, novice at the tracks. i mainly ride desert( johnson valley) where there is a lot of sandy washes and rocky sections. i also ride at tracks every once in a while.i would prefer the 150xc due to the linkage and suspesion, but i am worried about the power in the sandy desert. i have ridden the 200xc-w and it has plenty of power, the only problems being that it doesnt have linkage, reviews say it isnt so good for wide open spaces, and heard it isnt good on tracks. any insight on the 150s power or if the 200 can work on tracks??? i know that the 150 has over 38hp, does anyone have the 2012 200xc-w horsepower, cant find it anywhere???

Both are good bikes. IMO, I would tell you to lean towards the 150 over the 200. My reasoning is the wide-ratio transmission won't do as well on the track as the 150. It's not that the 200s wide-ratio is bad, it has gaps though which can make a proper gear selection difficult. Example: Do you hit a jump mid-range in 3rd or wide open in 2nd?!

Keeping the 150 singing is going to produce excellent results were as the 200 wont required the same efforts. The 150 does have the closed cartridge forks and linkage but some might consider those a disadvantage because it does add weight to the bike. If that is a concern for you, look at a 2011 model. Both have 6 speeds which is nice. The linkage is more versitile over different terrain vs the non-linkage.

Again, both are awesome bikes, but I think the 150 will suit you better.

umm, do some reasearch on the tranny gearing and you will see they are eerily similar except for sprocket combo, especially in the gears you use the most (2nd-4th). I bet with some susp work, possibly a sprocket change, pipe, etc. the 200 would be capable enough on the track.

The XC tranny will fall WAY short on top end speed compared to the W, so the desert may not be so much fun on the XC.

Tough call, may want to consider a 250XC with the 6 speed....

A bit of a spendy solution but you could get the 150 then get a 200 engine. An engine swap takes about 30 minutes if your motivated.

Joe.........

Every magazine test I've seen (DR and MXA have had at least a couple each) has noted the minimal difference between linkage and PDS versions of KTMs (or 2 stroke Husabergs). I find no significant difference between my PDS KTM and my linkage Honda CR and Suzuki RM bikes for eastern riding (never been to the desert!), other than that the PDS is a lot less maintenance in our often muddy conditions. I would think the 200 engine would be a significant advantage in sandy conditions, considering that your geared-up riding weight is going to be in the 185lb range.

I know the 150 is just not going to do it for you in desert, I mean it will but the bike will have to be wrung out 80% of the time, I have a 12 200 xcw and its the master of tight ugly single track, jetted good it will get up and walk but the down fall is the Open Chamber forks just do not hold up in high speed stuff. I did not put much thought into it untill I got to ride a 2012 250 xc, the bike has very good power down low, the linkage suspension is a big improvement in keeping the rear wheel hooked to the ground , the CC forks are nice. I think the 12 250 xc fits what your asking.

So, if I'm 6'0 and 200lbs without gear, and I ride 80% single track in the hills of WNC, it sounds like you guys are saying that I better stay clear of a 150 and look at either a 200 or a 250XC, right? Granted, I don't typically ride fast, but I definitely don't want to be on a bike that feels like its is struggling to make power.

Fortunately, there is a KTM demo event in March that I am attending. I hope I get the chance to ride both and see for myself.

So, if I'm 6'0 and 200lbs without gear, and I ride 80% single track in the hills of WNC, it sounds like you guys are saying that I better stay clear of a 150 and look at either a 200 or a 250XC, right? Granted, I don't typically ride fast, but I definitely don't want to be on a bike that feels like its is struggling to make power.

Fortunately, there is a KTM demo event in March that I am attending. I hope I get the chance to ride both and see for myself.

I am 6' 210 lbs without gear, riding the hills of WNC for nearly 4 years on a 200 and want for no more bike. I am not a HP junkie though and quite frankly having too much power hurts my confidence on the trails. I have a fairly high self preservation level. LOL

250 XC is a nice bike as well, I just don't need that much power in the woods.

I'm way over the big bike syndrome. I've had plenty of big bore bikes and I love all that power but it simply is not needed for 95% of riding. While I don't have 2012 models I do have both a 150 and a 200 in the garage. Both haul me around just fine. I feel the 150 or even a 125 revs higher and would be a better choice on a track. For woods I would lean to the 200.Also, the XC-W is my least favorite tranny. All that said I may just get a 250 or 300 in the next few years to change things up. I say pick one ride the piss out of it then change it up;)

Joe............

confused on which bike to get. i am about 5'10" and 165pounds, intermediate desert racer, novice at the tracks. i mainly ride desert( johnson valley) where there is a lot of sandy washes and rocky sections. i also ride at tracks every once in a while.i would prefer the 150xc due to the linkage and suspesion, but i am worried about the power in the sandy desert. i have ridden the 200xc-w and it has plenty of power, the only problems being that it doesnt have linkage, reviews say it isnt so good for wide open spaces, and heard it isnt good on tracks. any insight on the 150s power or if the 200 can work on tracks??? i know that the 150 has over 38hp, does anyone have the 2012 200xc-w horsepower, cant find it anywhere???

150 for moto & the desert

200 for the woods

Never be afraid of PDS suspension. I had all my KTMs working as good as any bike that I have ever had. Usually have to go up a bit on the shock spring to get the required 38mm static sag and 114mm rider sag. As for the 150 the 150 makes great power. I have a Husky WR150 now and it works great everywhere.

Thanks for the input gmoss. Sounds like we may have to go riding sometime. I've only been to Wayehutta, Carolina in Morganton, and Brushy in Taylorsville. Always interested in meeting new people and riding. Wouldn't mind swapping with you for 10 minutes to get an idea of the 200 also. Are you going to the Ride KTM event at Brushy in late March?

No way am I getting near a new bike!! :smirk::bonk:

I will be back to riding soon. Wrapping up a refresh of the bike at the moment.

I came off a 250F to the 200 in a round a bout way. I contemplated going with a big bore in my WR, but decided to go 2 stroke. The 200 is everything positive about the 250F without the negatives, and with more power.

Once I put a few scratches on my new plastic I will be glad to swap briefly with ya. :lol:

jkabee, I'm planning to ride w/a group at Brushy Saturday at 9:30, you should ride w/us. If conditions are good I'll let you try my '08 200XC on some ST. It has a milled head & revalved suspewnsion, should be close to a '12 less the new frame.

I'm definately planning to do the demo ride in March, not that I can afford a new bike, just to see how good they are & where I need to improve mine.

Only thing I can say about my 250XC compared to the 200 is the e-start is nice and in the grass track sections I can jet past the 200's. In races with lot's of sweepy tight sections I'm at a disadvantge to the nimble 200's.

Edited by gruberyz

Thanks for the offer SkiDaddy! Unfortunately I won't be free till March gets here, and someone is actually coming over on Saturday to look at purchasing my 250XCF-W. [fingers crossed]. I will be at the ride event for sure, but if my 250 doesn't sell before March, I'd love to meet up with you early March and take you up on your offer. I'm really thinking the 200 is the way I want to go, but I can't get the 150 out of my mind for some reason. There is something about the idea of a motorized mountain bike that appeals to the devil in me.... :smirk: Anyway... my 200 lbs plus gear keeps smacking me in the back of the head and saying that a 150 will get old in a few months and I'll be left wishing I would of bought a 200. I DO plan on buying a new KTM, so the ride event will mean alot to me. Unless of course I find a used 150 or 200 for sale at a price I can't refuse! :bonk:

If you are riding ST here in the mountains of NC, there is only so much power you can use anyway, and you need enough bottom end to carry you along, up and down hills. I would love to ride a 150, but know that it won't carry me where I want to go the way I want it to. What I find works in the ST is be able to ride a gear high, keeping the power off the pipe, riding smooth. The 200 does this better than the 150, especially with 200++ lbs on top of it.

I will be riding again by March, so you will be welcome to take a spin on my bike if you haven't ridden one at the demo event already.

I have often said the 200 is a great next step from a 250F. The big bore in yours, if that is right, may equal the 200 moreso, but the weight will be a pleasant experience, which will increase the power to weight ratio.

You could always buy either one and convert it to the other, selling the original parts.

However, for your weight & the terrain here a 200 is the best choice. It'll have enough grunt most of the time to pull you up things even if you're not in the right gear or miff an approach. Not so a 150.

I did ride a 150 once in very tight FLAT LEVEL single track, it was soooo sweet. Keeping it singing & throwing it around like a toy. But that was in Florida.......

Fair enough. I think I am sold on the 200. I just started a new thread regarding the choice between an XC or the XC-W. Please check it out and offer you rinout there as well! You guys are great. :smirk: