Sign in to follow this  

Fork swap

I have a 2001 yz250. great bike, but I think the suspension is lacking. I want to get some forks from a 2005+ yz250 or yz450f. Is it worth it? are there better alternatives that cost less money and less headache? I am a top 5 C-classer and i weigh 165lbs. It was my first full summer owning a dirtbike this past summer So i plan on getting faster and im 16.

What don't you like about you forks? Are they setup for you weight and riding style? Newer forks are not going to work if they are improperly set up too. Have you considered a rebuild to freshin things up, possibly new springs or if you have the means, possibly a revalve?

What don't you like about you forks? Are they setup for you weight and riding style? Newer forks are not going to work if they are improperly set up too. Have you considered a rebuild to freshin things up, possibly new springs or if you have the means, possibly a revalve?

I have thought about a re-valve, but what is the most i can expect from that? and how much coin will I have to spend?

I have thought about a re-valve, but what is the most i can expect from that? and how much coin will I have to spend?

How about suspension that is built specifically for you! Every bike I own is revalved for my weight and riding discipline. I don't see you needing springs so your looking at about $400 or so for a front and rear. Pricing is a little different down in the states. In Canada it would be around $600 or so.

300 bucks for my front revalved at factory connection. I agree, you can have the most advanced suspesion but if it's not valved for you weight or riding style its going to be worthless. I just picked up the newer syle sss forks. I plan on using them in the sand and my older forks in the rocks.

thanks for the info, how does the valving work? would i tell them my weight, skill, and style and they would send it back to me re-valved ready for me to start on the clickers? I have no clue how it works

That's exactly how it works. Go to factoryconnection.com. they explain it pretty good. You pretty much give them you weight, skill, terrain you ride, and riding type and they set up the forks for you. I don'y know exactly how its done. It has to do with a combination of new springs, valves, and fork oillevel. There are many suspension shops and possibly some local to you if that is what you prefer.

That's exactly how it works. Go to factoryconnection.com. they explain it pretty good. You pretty much give them you weight, skill, terrain you ride, and riding type and they set up the forks for you. I don'y know exactly how its done. It has to do with a combination of new springs, valves, and fork oillevel. There are many suspension shops and possibly some local to you if that is what you prefer.

awesome, thanks a lot for the help