Sign in to follow this  

This doesnt sound like a good noise to me...

Okay so just recently ive been hearing a very weird/distinct sound coming from the motor on my 02-400s.....when the motor shuts off, theres a very loud grinding noise thats very fast at first, and then within 5seconds the grinding noise gets quieter and quieter and stops... its got 40,000 miles on the orginal motor, never been touched. im afraid to tear it apart to find out what it might be.. haha. any thoughts? thanks!

Could be...and I'm not sure if this is the proper terminology...your engine is giving your starter gear a donkey punch. On shutdown there's a slight reverse torque/kickback that gives the starter gear a spin. On 4-cylinder Toyota motors (22r/22re) this generally means a rebuild is due in the next 125-175k miles (doesn't spin a gear on them, just makes a light muffled backfire, like the Yota's trying to sneak a fart). On the upside...your compression is still good. :smirk:

And yes...hearing it would help so much.

Edited by thumpty dumpty

Im heading back down to florida today to visit some family and friends, ill get a sound file when i get back on wednsday.. thanks for the replys guys.. It starts right up the second i hit the button, no hesitation at all.

Could be...and I'm not sure if this is the proper terminology...your engine is giving your starter gear a donkey punch. On shutdown there's a slight reverse torque/kickback that gives the starter gear a spin. On 4-cylinder Toyota motors (22r/22re) this generally means a rebuild is due in the next 125-175k miles (doesn't spin a gear on them, just makes a light muffled backfire, like the Yota's trying to sneak a fart). On the upside...your compression is still good. :smirk:

And yes...hearing it would help so much.

Thanks for that info, and now that i think about it, your starter gear theory makes sense, thats almost what it maybe sounds like.. hmm..