Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Escaping the snow! Early tomorrow morning (2/4/12)

Suffice it to say, my friends are spontaneous. We're loading up EARLY in the a.m. to beat the ski traffic and go ride around Grand Junction! I've never ridden out there; looking forward to it!

Enjoy! There are some fun trails over there if you know your way around.

CoKTM

Enjoy! There are some fun trails over there if you know your way around.

CoKTM

It was AWESOME! Ran into a guy in the parking lot that showed us around all day. Perfect weather out there. I'll put up some gopro footage soon

Hopefully he was able to get you to some of the fun singletrack and some of the killer hill climbs. PM me your e-mail and I’ll let you know next time I head over that way. I have been riding over there for the past 25 years so I know my way around well. Rabbit Valley is also fun, We have a 50+ mile loop that ties Rabbit Valley and Westwater together and hits most of the better singletrack. Sidewinder is cool if you like more technical singletrack and it can be looped so you do not have to re-ride any trail.

CoKTM

I don't know what it's called but we were parked by the airport and were around Skinny Ridge and all the hills in that area. Like nothing I've ever seen before out there!

This is just some highlights of the day. I'm new to editing Gopro vids, and this is a rough draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3YHdHjnvRQ

Edited by RedRider31

Nice videos (Skinny Ridge, Little Skinny, Berm Gulch, etc.). Our group will probably be headed out that way around Mar 17. Let me know if you’re interested in going along I’ll be hitting Green River later this week.

CoKTM

We are thinking about doing he same thing. This sat.

Weather is looking good over there!

CoKTM

Weather is looking good over there!

CoKTM

Well. I was talking to a buddy of mine and I don't have my bike registered or spark arrester. So It looks like I'm staying home.

Well. I was talking to a buddy of mine and I don't have my bike registered or spark arrester. So It looks like I'm staying home.

Just swing by the parks and rec department to get your sticker. Or, even easier, get it online. You can print the receipt and you are good to go. I have been checked a few times while riding over there for stickers. I have never had my spark arrester checked. There is nothing over there to burn! You will not be legal but will probably be fine.

CoKTM

You dont need either to ride by the airport. And even if you do, I have never seen a ranger out there, trails are a different story

Well our first baby wasn't due till march 9 but after the doctor visit today it's a different story. Lol. So I better stick around the house.

You dont need either to ride by the airport. And even if you do, I have never seen a ranger out there, trails are a different story

I have seen rangers there cruising the parking areas checking stickers. I have also seen rangers at Rabbit Valley, The cost of the off road sticker is less than the fine for not having one (I have friends who know this first hand) and the money helps support our sport.

CoKTM

I have seen rangers there cruising the parking areas checking stickers. I have also seen rangers at Rabbit Valley, The cost of the off road sticker is less than the fine for not having one (I have friends who know this first hand) and the money helps support our sport.

CoKTM

I didn't think a sticker was required for the bookcliffs. Yes I agree buying one is good for the support but I was under the impression no sticker was required out there

I didn't think a sticker was required for the bookcliffs. Yes I agree buying one is good for the support but I was under the impression no sticker was required out there

I was under the impression they aren't out there checking much, except for when the Bookcliff Rattlers club holds a race...

I was under the impression they aren't out there checking much, except for when the Bookcliff Rattlers club holds a race...

I've never seen a ranger out there, sticker makes sense I guess but spark arrestor is so stupid, there is nothing that can catch fire out there. Hell last time we were out there, there were these hillbillies blowing up propaine cans or something sending flames a few hundred feet in the air.

Cainville UT though they are pretty ruthless and will nail you for stickers, kids under 14 that dont have the safety certificate UT requires for kids to ride on BLM land and do not take kindly to Coloradans since our state stopped recipricating the stickers

I've never seen a ranger out there, sticker makes sense I guess but spark arrestor is so stupid, there is nothing that can catch fire out there. Hell last time we were out there, there were these hillbillies blowing up propaine cans or something sending flames a few hundred feet in the air.

Cainville UT though they are pretty ruthless and will nail you for stickers, kids under 14 that dont have the safety certificate UT requires for kids to ride on BLM land and do not take kindly to Coloradans since our state stopped recipricating the stickers

So what does one need to ride legally on Federal land in UT? Not sure if I'll ever go there anyway; I prefer less rocks and more trees.

Also, how does the money the state receives for the OHV stickers benefits the Nat'l Forest/BLM Land?

Edited by RedRider31

So what does one need to ride legally on Federal land in UT? Not sure if I'll ever go there anyway; I prefer less rocks and more trees.

Also, how does the money the state receives for the OHV stickers benefits the Nat'l Forest/BLM Land?

Utah requires the same as Colorado, you find a place that sells the stickers, lots of ranger stations do, provide a VIN, I think they require vehicle inspection but I could mistaken on that and pay the 35 bucks. I am not sure what the state does with the money, probably fill budget gaps and very little helps trails.

I ride mostly tracks, Cainville is not rocks, it looks like the moon with this grey dirt. That is the place where a lot of free ride videos were filmed, Nate Adams back flipping McGavins which is like a 120' gap between two hills, its a shit ton of fun, can go as big as you want, can go as small as you want, something for everyone out there. And a cool hotel in the middle of nowhere with a pool and weirdest owner you will ever meet, still a nice guy, just really out there

Edited by Towelie

Picked up a "new" 04 KTM 200 2 weeks ago, and of course, snow.... Anyone know of anywhere to ride this weekend? Preferably north of Denver.

Utah requires the same as Colorado, you find a place that sells the stickers, lots of ranger stations do, provide a VIN, I think they require vehicle inspection but I could mistaken on that and pay the 35 bucks. I am not sure what the state does with the money, probably fill budget gaps and very little helps trails.

I ride mostly tracks, Cainville is not rocks, it looks like the moon with this grey dirt. That is the place where a lot of free ride videos were filmed, Nate Adams back flipping McGavins which is like a 120' gap between two hills, its a shit ton of fun, can go as big as you want, can go as small as you want, something for everyone out there. And a cool hotel in the middle of nowhere with a pool and weirdest owner you will ever meet, still a nice guy, just really out there

Thanks for the info.

Picked up a "new" 04 KTM 200 2 weeks ago, and of course, snow.... Anyone know of anywhere to ride this weekend? Preferably north of Denver.

It looks like a mess on the IMI web cam http://imimotorsports.com/live_race/, so it'll probably be a mudfest up north. I heard Aztec is in good shape, but there's a race tomorrow. You could ride there on Sunday...