Sign in to follow this  

FCR help, please. Accelerator pump question

2001 400E. I'm doing all the recommended mods to the carb, ie: ground down the diaphram post, am going to wire the two arms together, but I'm confused about something. I can't remember if the forked arm is supposed to be widened with a screw driver as in the photo or is it supposed to be pinched together? I widened it so that at wide open throttle the accelerator pump just reaches the end of its travel. If I pinch the fork closer together then it looks like when the two arms are wired together the AP arm will reach the end of its travel and prevent the throttle from opening all the way. Please advise.-Paul

IMG_2788.jpg

It all depends on wear of the linkage, as to if you need to change the timing vie spreading the forked link.

1st, wire the arm, make sure the AP diaphragm is in good shape and the rivet is ground all the way down. Test for length of squirt and timing. It should not hit the slide (too soon) nor go on too long.

e9082b6e.jpg

As Eric said, First wire the arms together, then take the accelerator pump cover off.

53062b7e.jpg

Diaphragm out. The shiny rivet in the centre is what needs to be ground down. This is already done. Just take it down so it's flush with the base . Make sure you don't damage the diaphragm .

46e02e2a.jpg

Once you get it back together, you need to spread the metal fork that the black plastic arm is wired to. Open the throttle slowly, and see where the AP arm bottoms out. Then take a flat head screwdriver and pry the metal arms apart until you can reach WOT without bottom out the AP.