Sign in to follow this  

Heavy Duty LH Switch Block for Custom Dual HID Setup?

Hi all!

Currently in the process of fabricating a dual hid setup for a 2011 300 EXC (XC-W). So far I have most of the mounting, loom, lights and other bits and pieces sorted out, but have hit a bit of a speed bump with choices of switch block to use.

I am currently running a TT X2 coupled with an upgraded stator and reg/rec and in the last year have fried 3 OEM KTM switch blocks so the new set up will definitely require a different aproach. I do take particular care to avoid getting water in the switch block when washing the bike so have disreguarded water ingress as a possible reason for the OEM switch block to fail.

Tech specs for the new lights are:

Nominal Voltage: Dual voltage ballast system for 12V/24V

Bulb Voltage: 85 +/- 17 (V)

Bulb Electric Power: 35 +/- 3 (W)

Operating Temperature Range: -40 ~ +95

Storage Temperature Range: -40 ~ +105

Operating Voltage Range: 9 ~ 32 V

Inrush current (0-5msec): <4.5 (A) (Low Draw)

Reverse Polarity Protection:YES

Please note:

• I am planning to assemble a complete heavier gauge loom thus not using the OEM lighting loom what so ever.

• As per the regs of the series I will be racing in I am required to have a high and a low, thus the switch block will need to accomidate this. Would be excellent it the block also had switches for a horn and indicators but not 100% necessary. (Unfortunatly have to transport between trails at times on public roads and there are narky cops about).

• I will have a relay in the loom so both lights are not able to fire up at the same time.

• I will be replacing the KTM switch block with another manufacturers no matter the outcome.

• I am aware that I could splice another relay into the loom so there is not as much load passing through the switch block but its just one more component to fail IMHO...

I am wondering if anyone has come across any particularly good switchblocks (heavy duty internals) to suit what I am doing or should I just bite the bullet and wire in another relay?

Cheers!

BTW I would have posted this in the electrical section however it doesnt seem to get much traffic...?

Edited by woz-11

Seems like time for relays to take the current load instead of the handle bar switch. Bosch relays are ubiquitous and can handle the power draw of the lights. I've used these relays for many projects and they are available online for $2-7 and in 20 and 30amp versions. Easy wire connectors are also available. They are DPDT so one relay could control high and low beam.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/relay.htm

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Edited by chuck4788

Cheers for the input guys, much appreciated!

Will give the bosch relays a go and see how they perform.

Just out of interest have either of you/ or anyone found a supplier for KTM electrical connectors?

Cheers!!

Cheers for the input guys, much appreciated!

Will give the bosch relays a go and see how they perform.

Just out of interest have either of you/ or anyone found a supplier for KTM electrical connectors?

Cheers!!

Search for " molex connectors " on e-blag ect. I think they are 0.095" pins.