Sign in to follow this  

05+ KX250 for tall riders?

Sorry, I've spent an hour searching and there's a lot of conflicting info about KX250 ergos out there so humor me here.

OK, bottom line: 6'1" rider with long arms...all else being equal (bars, bar risers, tall seat, etc...), how does the KX compare as far as cockpit size to other 250 smokers of the same era?

Only other bikes I've had to compare were an 03 YZ250 and with a tall seat and tall bars, which was OK sitting but still a little cramped for me standing, and an 04 MXC300 which with a Scott's submount felt very roomy both seated and standing (still kick myself in the ass for selling that bike).

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all can give.

Edited by Deinabolic

im 6'1'' also long arms and ride an 02 kx250, i dont feel cramped up on my bike. i think its pretty comfortable. i dont have much experience on other models though.

i put pro taper fat bar clamps and a cr high bend pro taper bar on my 96 kx250. i did not cut the bar down either. i'm 6'1" and find my bike very comfortable. i do want to lower the footpeg a bit but the protaper pegs are a bit pricey right now.

You run anything to stretch the cockpit out - bar risers, tall seat, etc...or is that stock?

i have pro taper reed/henry bars everything else is stock. they are one of the taller pro taper bars but i dont think they are actually "tall bars"

Comparing a 96 or 02 with an 05+ is apples and oranges as far as the chassis goes. I think you would only need a tall set of bars and the mounts in the forward position. You can also pick up a Pro Taper top clamp that has 2 bar mount positions. They're on Ebay for $20.

The bike is tall. The peg to seat height is normal, so you might need a tall foam if your knees are too high against the seat. But you'll feel fine standing with the bike. I'm 5'9" and it's too tall for me in stock form. The cockpit is open, especially with the bars forward. The bike is very thin compared to earlier models, even newer YZ's.