Sign in to follow this  

battery tender caused FI light to blink

Just picked up a new 12 250 XCF-W. When I hooked up the battery tender and after it went into the red on/green blinking mode it caused my FI light to come on and blink right after what sounded like the fuel pump making a noise.

Is this normal/ok? Anyone else notice this?

Check out KTMTalk, someone is having the exact same issue with his 500 - not sure if they pin pointed the problem yet. Must be a difference in the wiring harness because my 12 500EXC is always on the tender in the garage and so far it is working as expected.

Thanks. Went to the KTMTalk forum but I guess you have to be a member to read the post's on that thread. Tried to register too but unless you have a paid email account which I don't you cannot register. Anyone out there willing to read to the thread and report back any findings here? It would be much appreciated... :smirk:

I had a 2010 Husaberg FE450 that did the same thing. I found that if after it happened I started the bike, shut it off and then waited until the computer/odometer went out before plugging the tender back in it would not do it.

Thanks. Went to the KTMTalk forum but I guess you have to be a member to read the post's on that thread. Tried to register too but unless you have a paid email account which I don't you cannot register. Anyone out there willing to read to the thread and report back any findings here? It would be much appreciated... :devil:

Not true.

You should never put a Battery Tender on a bike with FI without disconnecting the ground wire.

Am curious why this would happen, if the switch is off, and you are only connected to the batt, wouldnt the CPU of the bike be off and not acceptin the extra charge of the batt tender?

I am about to do the same on my SXF FE, but may hold out till another day

My XCF came with a tender, no problems.

What good is a tender if you disconnect the battery?

ECU's regulate charge when running they do not accept a charge, only the battery and maybe the capicator.

Well. Never could find an answer. Like mentioned above I just remove the negative ground to the frame and attached the tender to the battery when bike is not in use and in my garage. Thinking about adding a non grounded switch in between the negative and frame might solve this and be effective.

Not true.

You should never put a Battery Tender on a bike with FI without disconnecting the ground wire.

....and why....do tell please!!

Not the email part, we know that has to be something that isn't yahoo, hotmail or the like.

I wouldn't add a switch to the electrical system just for that. Contact the mfg maybe they have a solution or are aware of the issue. Imo I wouldn't be using one on such a new battery anyway, unless it's sitting for a really long time between rides.

I have the KTM battery charger kit for the older bike. Was going to try it on my new bike prior to install. Will purposely drain the batt till near death, and then charge it whilst it is connected.

I will comment my findings

If you have the lead acid battery ( I doubt you have) never run them really flat, they often never recover

I wouldn't risk fully discharging a LI battery, they don't like it much.

Check the battery mfg info, I was recently reading about charging Li batteries (shorai & turntech) and there are some issues. Also don't fully discharge it unless it's a deep cycle, which I'll bet it isn't.

as long as i dont drop below 11.9v i am fine...

I use the slowest charger available. 2 amps

Slow charge is better then fast charges

True, but you can't control the charge rate on most of the chargers. I bought one of those battery tender juniors, I don't get to plug it in all the time since my bike sits in a non-powered trailer at work all the time. The few times I get to plug it in the battery seems to function okay. I'd guess that mc batteries don't last as long as car batteries.