Sign in to follow this  

Running vs Cycling

Can you compare the two. I would imagine they both have benefis in their own right? It's for moto training. Any ideas?

Cycling is great because it's low impact, great for cardio, good for your endurance muscle building, and great for your core and lower back (if your bike is set up correctly), you have less risk of injury to muscles, tendons, ligaments etc in cycling training. One benefit of running training is that it's dynamic. It is impact training, which stimulates the body to produce strong bones and good bone density (it's common for elite level cyclist to have poor bone density because of non-impact) and riding motos you want strong bones, running also incorporates stablilization in joints not just muscle building. The tendons, ligaments, adductors, and joints all play an important role in running. The drawback is, that running is tough on the body, and you can strain and injure muscles, ligaments, tendons etc etc more easily. I would split it, 70% cycling and 30% running.

• Like 1

Thats great. Any tips on how to keep from getting inured when running? I know i got shin splint since my run the other day thats why I went out on the bike instead.

The best way to not get injured is to be as fit as you can be before trying a new exercise. Rest is a good way to stay uninjured to, meaning, if you are starting out with running, then take it easy at first. If you run Monday in the first week, then by Wednesday you will feel it, and I'd wait until the following Monday to run again. I wouldn't run back to back days, and in the first four weeks I wouldn't run without 3-4 days between sessions. Those 3 or 4 days in between can be on the bicycle, which will help you to recover from the pounding the running will take on your legs.

With any new exercise I have a saying..... "go out slowly, then ease up!"