Sign in to follow this  

how to check cam timing on 2010

I'm working on a 2010 crf250 for a guy. It's starting poorly. Intakes are right on at .005. How can you tell if the cam has spun on these? Exausts are .010 and .009. I don't think those will be a problem

Check valve lift at tdc, put a gauge on the bucket

you should have around .100"

Kim

I'm working on a 2010 crf250 for a guy. It's starting poorly. Intakes are right on at .005. How can you tell if the cam has spun on these? Exausts are .010 and .009. I don't think those will be a problem

About the only way you can tell if the timing gear spun is if you use a degree wheel. You're valves are in spec so that's not your hard start issue. A leak down test will help determine what's going on. If a valve isn't sealing, that's going to cause a problem. I would check the obvious items like a clogged pilot jet and the carb. If the temp dropped significantly, you may need to make some adjustments on the carb or possibly re-jetting.

like 450dk said , you can see if it spun by putting it at TDC on OVERLAP and if both intake and exhaust valves are open the same amount ( around 2 to 3 mm ) it is good

make sure the cam is not 180 degrees off.. cam lobes should be facing back. i dont know if its the same on a 2010 but thats how it is on my 06

make sure the cam is not 180 degrees off.. cam lobes should be facing back. i dont know if its the same on a 2010 but thats how it is on my 06

they are all the same , when it is TDC on the comp. stroke the lobes point back and the valves are closed and are in position to be checked for clearance , it can also be at TDC at the end of the exhaust stroke and the begining of the intake stroke , this is when the cam is on overlap and the valves should be open the same amount , a cam only needs to be a few degrees one direction or the other from center to cause problems

can't even get it to pop pushing it. timing is perfect. have to check if there's spark. It has a new fuel pump. I'm guessing electrical. either spark or injector.